6th to 5th Gen with questions

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Highvactech, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Highvactech

Highvactech New Member

Canada
    Map
    Gang,

I put my 6th gen up for sale as I really wanted a 5th Gen. I bought the 6th Gen the year before at the end of the season as it was priced well and I enjoyed it but there were a few things about it that really didn't turn my crank. There was a nice red 5th Gen for sale on Kijiji but I had to play it safe and sell the bike I had first. I wrote down the phone number of the bike on Kijiji just in case. The ad did disappear but I held out hope and after I sold my bike I called the guy. The 5th Gen was still available! The owner was just fed up with typical low ball offers and general idiots on Kijiji and had pulled the ad. I drove ~2.5 hours to pick it up and drove it home. I love it so far. The fit seems better for me and I love the throttle response and sound from the pipe. I may not go with Heli bars as I did on the 6th Gen, but we'll see. The 5th Gen seems sportier than the 6th Gen and is easier to toss into a corner. I paid more for an older bike with higher mileage than I sold but in the end I got what I have lusted for and am very happy. I hope I got the photo link correct. The new bike is in great shape and just needs a few little things to be near perfect.

IMG_20151107_163446.jpg

So on to the questions:

I understand that the later 5th gen mirrors can be used that don't have the rubber "condom" correct? Can you also get mirror extenders then for these like on the 6th Gen? Are these the same as F4i mirrors or what is the compatibility? The rubber sock is not behaving and I would rather go for a metal stock.

Shortening the stock rear fender seems a popular choice. I will look for some images. Looks straightforward enough? Does the rear light get turfed in place of a smaller LED plate light perhaps?

The rear brake seems stiffer than on the 6th Gen and doesn't seem to do much? Is this the number of pistons used front/rear being different? I saw a post on a stiff rear brake and will see if I can dig that up.

I see some guys with "regular" bolts in place for the seat cowl over the longer shoulder bolt that is in place normally. Anyone have a part number or recommendation or are these just standard button heads? It would be nice to have the stepped head and assume a fairing bolt might work if the dims are correct?

The two white warning labels are still on the top front of the tank. I know if I pull them off (I hate the look of them) that I will have unfaded rectangles on the tank. I pulled a dealer sticker off the top of the tail and of course there is an oval fad outline of the sticker. It is faint however and I would rather that over the sticker! Suggestions? Just do it? After a few years the fade will even out?!

Any other fun little things people like to do on this generation?

The PO indicated the R/R and stator have been replaced on the bike with stock items. I did a Roadster Cycles Mosfet on the 6th Gen and may do that over the winter. I see lots of interesting voltmeter options as well to consider for this version. Suspension upgrades may be a year away.

Happy riding.

Sean (Highvactech)

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Nice, you have a good one there, lets see now if I can mess this up. Mirrors yep 2000-01 are metal stakes and bolt right up. a lot of folks get the close to oem look, aftermarket , the real deal, are, well expensive. believe it's Emgo branding, ebay is also not a bad place to check. No other version from other models will work. lots of topic posted here, try a search in either goggle, or here. You'll more than likely find it's been covered real well. Yes, there's mirror extenders too.

Rear fender mod is a snap. LOL ie cut, saw etc.... no issues that I'm aware of. Rear light question is what ever wants to make of it. I've been thinking LEDs may be a nice touch, but it's a personal thing.
    The rear brake thread you may have read of late, dealt with bad brake piston O rings. I'm not sure that's the cause here, as mine is just like what yours sounds like, it takes more effort than I think it should. well compared to my 4th gen that is, it didn't have the linked brakes so I'm chalking it up to that, but that thread did put a bug in my ear, so maybe this winter I'll take a peek. But from what I know it's the same on 6th gens.

Are you asking for a replacement of the stock tiedown seat bolts? for say a smoother more recessed version?

I'd use a heat gun pull the labels off, then get a light polishing wax , should buff right out. one thing about honda on the tank the paint quality is excellent and cleans up pretty good. I'd like to believe once you give it a good light cut cleaner polishing job it will blend right end. I know mine did.

Other than suspension, yes that one pays big pay backs, then there's the personal touches, not much left, maybe a PC3-5.. air cleaner of your choice, LOL lots of subject matter on that one ;) snorkel removal, par valve block off plates are just a few others have done. if it was me, not knowing how it was taken care of , how many miles on your machine, I'd take it in for a valve service just to double check, though most once set, one very rarely see much in the way of wear. Then there's just setting the stock suspension settings to you, set the sag, then a good going over all the fluids, typical bike maintenance. You've all ready touched on the RR thing so you're ahead of the curve there. Sounds like you have a good.. enjoy it. Yes those gear driven cams sound sweet huh?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  3. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Great bike! Looks exactly like mine! :)

Rear brake: Not sure what you mean by "stiffer". I think there is relatively little pedal movement, if that is what you mean. (I haven't ridden a 6th.)

Brakes are a funny thing in that you must examine all aspects carefully to know for sure how it is performing, before you know if it is the normal feel or if something is wrong. How does the current fluid look? In the master cylinder is the plastic below the fluid line darkened? That would indicate in some period of time the fluid was allowed to get old. Old fluid means potential crystallized fluid in the caliper seals, unless they were rebuilt already, and you do not know. Test the rear brake for binding. Someone here recently had torn seals. Before knowing this they they had someone press the pedal while they watched the caliper and not all of the pistons moved, so the caliper moved in a crooked manner. With any hint of binding, you know you must inspect/clean/replace seals and pistons in the caliper.

4. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Look in my gallery, I have a pic or two of my shortened fender. I made it barely longer than the license plate, took the plate light apart and moved it up under the tail light. It fits perfect like Honda intended for it to be there. I added Heli Bars and a Sargeant seat which made it possible for me to ride all day compared to a few hours stock. IMO the 5th gen looks better and gear drive engine is pure music.

5. Highvactech

Highvactech New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yes i do like the sound of the gear driven cams. I think I will pull the tank labels off and live with the lighter rectangles in the paint. They may darken up over time (I hope!). You really need to look for the difference in color on the tail where I pulled the dealer sticker and from a few feet away you can't really tell. I am pretty good with polishing scratches so after the stickers are off I can make it look like they were not there except for the fade lighter color.

On the rear brake there is very little movement in the lever. The rear rotor shows more wear than the fronts which I thought was odd but the application of the front brake routing the to rear may be the cause of this. On the 6th Gen there was more movement and it had more bite with just the rear lever. Sounds like it is not uncommon for the pistons to get stuck. This may be a spring project. I may also change the fluid first to see if it helps at all, and see if I can sort out this little port in the rear MC. The fluid is dark but not terrible. Close to iced tea in color! The PO indicated they did the fluid when the pads were replaced. I am not convinced. I may get someone to push the pedal and see if I can see the piston movement.

I plan on removing and blanking the PAIR valve. This helped with backfire noise on the 6th Gen and I think this will help with off throttle noise during deceleration. I did not do the flapper on the 6th Gen. Will check out the snorkel and decide if I want to pull it or not. I hear the intake noise is a bit higher but this for me might not be a bad thing, as I like mechanical noise.

Y2Kviffer thanks for the reference to your images. I love what you have done and may try to duplicate it. I would have not thought to remove the reflector and put the light up there. The idea of not having to add anything makes this appealing and the effect looks very much factory while shortening the ugly fender. You have a great looking bike. I may still consider some Heli bars. The two plus hour ride home was all highway at 120+km/h (my wife in the car had to go pee!) and I had very little fatigue. My hands/wrists were okay with the stock windshield.

Cheers,
    Sean

6. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    Welcome to the 5th gen club. You're proof of which generation is the best:)
    I'm just down the road in London if you ever want to ride, may have to be next year though .

7. Highvactech

Highvactech New Member

Canada
    Map
    My son lives in London. We have taken the bike down for a visit a few times. Your bike looks great with the silver rims.

8. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    IMG_00000203.jpg
    Thanks, the first tire change I did I got them powdercoated. I'm just not a fan of black rims on anything. I'm just to the west of town before the 402, if you're ever out this way let me know. There's a couple other fifth gens in the area too.
    I did a fender trim a while back too, cut a hole in the bottom of the tail Light and glued in a clear lens. IMG_00000203.jpg