75,000 miles too many?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Guest, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am thinking of purchasing a 1994 VFR but it has 75,000 miles on it. Apparently, it has been compression tested and it is good. Any thoughts?

thanks!
    mike

2. waldrm

waldrm New Member

If the price is right, buy it. It should go another 75,000

3. jpete24

jpete24 New Member

I've heard stories on this form about people having 100k, 150k, even 200K miles on the engine before even TOUCHING it. I dont think its a problem, I bought mine with 40k on it, and it runs like brand spanking new. If it seems to run right, and you dont see any problems with it....I mean if all else fails, you could just overhaul it...nothing too big.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I, after years of dreaming about owning a 4th Generation VFR750, just bought one with exactly 80,000 miles on it. Had motor replaced at 20k, a great maintenance record and truly loved. Now I love it and rode it back from Savannah, GA to Fayetteville, NC (@ 300 miles) with no problems. Is a GREAT motorcycle.

5. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

If you actually had the engine compression tested and it was good, then I would not be worried. At most, you may need to do a valve inspection if that has not already been done. Clean or replace the air filter and fuel filter. Perhaps put in new plugs. Change the oil. Ride the snot out of it! VFR motors are known for their exceptional longevity.

With that many miles, I would be more concerned about things like the suspension bits, the chain and sprockets, brake pads, brake bleeding, steering head bearings, fork seals, etc...It might be a good idea to go over the electrical connections and give them a good cleaning and coating of electrical grease. All of these things I just mentioned are under the category of normal wear and tear maintenance items. If the motor is good, then the rest is gravy!

Talk him down on the price. He will think it is worth a lot. However, you can pick up nice 98-01 models with 10-5K miles for $4-5K right now. I'd offer him maybe $2500 and see what he says. If he won't take it, let him sit on it and shop around in the meantime.

Adios,