83 Intercepter OG OWNER

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by sooperdee, Mar 19, 2019.

1. sooperdee

sooperdee New Member

United States
    When the first intercepter came to the local honda dealer in the early spring of 83, the mechanic, a close family friend, had a red one on his lift, I couldn't take my eyes off it, he gave me the reason honda produced it and said it was his, instantly I knew it was something special because frank didn't buy new bikes. I was working in another honda shop putting new bikes together where my brother was the mechanic. The first one came in and the owner said it was already sold before I got it out of the box,and it was red,I wanted blue . Well the next one came and the rest is history. I rode it 5 years and got into dual sports and one day I decided to just park it. I drained the fuel out of the crbs and the tank and it sat almost exactly thirty years with a honda cover on it outa site. Was thinking about a Indian ft1200 after seein the promo ads,but was a little disappointed and dropped that Idea. So I decided to drag out my cepter, was amazed at the availability of OEM and repop parts.Cleaned out the fuel tank, kits for all the masters ,and to my amazement it fired right up! It ran roughfor abuot 30 seconds and smoothed out the more it ran. Ran really good till Iran it up to 8 or 9 grand in third fourth and fifth,all of a sudden it acted like it was runnin out of gas, that was the best ride I had in awhile. Gonna have the carbs gone through, can't wait to ride it again. All original, rewired a starter toggle and headlight switch after honda wouldn't cover another,couple sets of cam chain tensioners, and a set of mufflers, honda warranteed all of it!!! Any aftermarket pipes made or workable? Ride like everyone is tryin to kill ya!!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    dad25boys likes this.
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Get that thing gone thru and ride!
    Oh and pictures are required of course.

As far as pipes go, gonna have to be on the lookout for some used ones. If the collector is in decent shape, you can also use some generic mufflers and have some connecting pipes made up.