84 Interceptor Monoshock Replacement

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Dlancer, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Dlancer

Dlancer New Member

OK I have a 84' Interceptor that the rear monshock is bad and needs to be removed and or replaced. My question is how hard a job is this. Is it something I can do myself or should I leave it to a professional. Is there any online sources that give you a step by step guide on how to do this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

2. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    First off - you need to get an official Honda Repair Manual. It will provide you with all of the step-by-step instructions you need. They are cheap on www.helminc.com

It's not too bad of a job really. You have to remove the battery and battery box. You also have to pull away the plastic plate that holds the r/r and all those wires and plugs on the left side. The crankcase breather tank is the last thing, it needs removed along with the fuel pump.

It's easiest to pull the shock straight out the top. It's possible to angle it out to the side where the battery sits but that sometimes is more of a pain than it's worth.

3. Dlancer

Dlancer New Member

Thanks Jamie. I decided today to try and do the swap myself. You were right it was not that hard to do. I got the old one out and the replacement installed in about an hour and a half. Thanks.

Dennis