'84 VF500F has little power, dies quickly

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by RoninUnderground, Jan 15, 2014.

1. RoninUnderground

RoninUnderground New Member

United States
    Map
    The bike started losing power, for a while I could keep it running by lowering my speed. It seemed at first as if it was running out of fuel, I have a gravity feed with in line filter so I thought maybe it was clogging. The problem worsened over a few hundred miles to where when I could get it to start it couldn't even move under its own power before dying. Now when it'll start throttle response is horrible and it'll eventually die regardless of choke and throttle positions. I've tested the ignition coils and they were out of spec, but about the same so I'm wondering if they'd both be bad by the same amount... I also swapped in some same model coils from a parts bike ('83 VF750, coils tested about the same as the ones on the VF500F). I tested the pulse generator, it's about freezing outside and the coils came back about 345 Ohms, right about the middle of the spec'd range. Honda doesn't give testing procedures for the spark unit so I bought a used one online, it has a slightly different model number, but the bike acts the same with either installed. I swapped in the R/R unit from the parts bike as well, same result. I installed new spark plugs, fuel flows freely from the tank. I'm at a loss. I put about something like 6000 miles on it since I bought it this summer and I'm itching to saddle back up asap. Any ideas as to what's wrong with it?

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Have you checked for air leaks in the fuel system? How do the carb boots look and is there fuel in the carb bowls?

Rollin

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Since this problem has worsened gradually, I would agree with Rollin, fuel supply (common to all 4 carbs), air supply, too much (cracked boots) or too little, make sure little critters haven't nested in air box! I doubt compression with two heads. Does it run like some cylinders are firing and some aren't, or just blah?

4. RoninUnderground

United States
    Map
    Last I looked the carb boots looked pretty good, but since I'll probably have to pull them to check the bowls I'll make a point to check when I do.

How would I check for air leaks in the fuel system? (cracked boots are easy to look for, but is there something else I should be checking?)

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    As you said, gas is gravity fed. Pull Line off carbs and check flow in to a jar. Check for water in gas, dirt. Filter look clean, plenty of gas in it? Got to be something simple. If I remember right, there are brass drain screws at the base of the bowls, bleed gas into clean glass jar or glass to see if contaminated.

Did you check your air box? WE had little friends that loved to nest in our Audi's V6 engine! Nice and warm after a short ride home from work.

6. RoninUnderground

United States
    Map
    I opened the air box completely when the problem struck, it was fine save for a little oil, probably from what I think is the PCV. There shouldn't have been water in the gas as I'd put fresh fuel in it several times as the problem worsened. This problem developed and came to a head all during a 1000+ mile road trip. The fuel filter is new, changing it didn't help. I did order a generic fuel pump on someone's recommendation I found searching this forum, but I won't install it until it's warmer and I've sorted out the current problem.

I'll check the carbs as soon as I can. I have work and classes started this week so things are busy once again, but I do really want to ride. My truck sucks down gas too fast.

7. MPH Racing

MPH Racing New Member

Canada
    Map
    If the bike will idle then let it run for a few minutes and check how hot the cylinders are. Just put your hand close to each of them and if they are cold or cool you could have the same problem I did. I took the carbs off to clean them and found my jets in the back 2 carbs had fallen out and were sitting in the fuel bowl. My other 500 had almost the same problem but that ended up being one of the balancing screws fell out and didn't have any power on the way home one night.

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    The most common and simple way to check for air leaks is to GENTLY spray starting fluid around the carb boots while the bike is idling. If you have an air leak the starter fluid will be drawn into the fuel system and the RPM's should increase slightly. Be sure to have a fire extinguisher handy if you attempt to do this and use the starting fluid sparingly since not much is needed.

Rollin

9. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    Agree that the problem is fuel delivery. 1st, check fuel flow from the petcock. If that is OK, turn on the petcock, wait a few minutes, then open the bowl drain screws one at a time to see if the bowls are actually filling with fuel.
    Also check is the fuel cap vent. If it is blocked, fuel flow from the tank will be very little to none.

10. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    you said petcock :pound:

if your pulling the carbs off you might as well clean them.. sounds like it is a simple fix...

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Any rust in the fuel tank ?? Drain it and flush to remove any crud, good once-a-year periodic maintenance and something you'd want to do on any just-bought bike or before replacing cleaned carbs as a precaution. Water can condense in tank or you might have purchased watery gas, which sinks to the bottom.

If you open a bowl drain, water comes out in little blobs unlike pure fuel if water's present.

That bike has 2 CDI boxes, i believe, and either one could fail, knocking out 2 cylinders i think.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  12. RoninUnderground

United States
    Map
    Hey guys, haven't forgotten I've just been busy. When I get the chance I'll clean the carbs and return with the results. Thanks!

Also I picked up a 2001 VFR800Fi really cheap. I'm sure many of you know that bike is NUTS in comparison lol

13. Rocker1500

Rocker1500 New Member

United States
    I believe your petcock is vacuum operated, correct? It's possible that this has stopped working. I had another bike and when the vacuum stopped working it would randomly die at highway speeds. There's a way to take out the vacuum mechanism all together. Not sure if you have done this yet or not. The petcock on my vf500 was converted to just be on all the time (secondary inline fuel valve was installed).

vf500-petcock.jpg

14. RoninUnderground

United States
    Map
    Strange, I was able to get fuel to flow by applying positive pressure to that nipple so I figured that's how it worked...

I may be selling the bike soon anyway since I have 4 bikes now and need money, I'll definitely miss it though.

15. RoninUnderground

United States
    Map
    Update: did a valve adjustment, now she runs. First valve adjustment I've ever done. Now, the clearance values are for between the cam and rocker arm, not between the rocker arms and valve stems, right?

16. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    What's illustrated in the Honda service manual ?? Dija check valve tops for signs of distress, mushrooming ??

17. RoninUnderground

United States
    Map
    Well, at TDC for each cylinder. I did glean that much from the FSM.

18. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Dija do a compression test to possibly explain the lowish power ??

19. RoninUnderground

United States
    Map
    God. Fucking. Dammit.

[​IMG]

I guess I'll look closer when I go do it again. Shit. It wasn't horrible though. Carried two of us up to 85-90mph without too much trouble. I think I still have the +1 sprocket on the front so I wasn't really surprised at it's power.

20. RoninUnderground

United States
    Map
    I redid it and it runs a bit better. Probably still needs a carb sync. Valve stem heads looked fine to me. Then traded the bike for a 1911. It's been fun, thanks for the help :) I still have and love my '01 VFR800.