84 won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Gotshafted, Nov 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Gotshafted

Gotshafted New Member

1984 Interceptor won't start. It sat for a year in Fl so I had to clean the carbs. It was rough starting to the point where I think I burned up the starter. Lights come on and a small solenoid clicks on the back right side by the seat. I just want to make sure, if that was the starter?

Also, the adjustment on the carbs is 2 and half turns, right?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The starters are pretty tough so I would check to make sure you have voltage across the relay to the starter. They can require alot of cranking to fill the carbs back up after they have been off so I cant recommend enough that you charge the fuel system by jumping the fuel pump to the battery before trying to start it.

3. Gotshafted

Gotshafted New Member

I know this question might be annoying, but where and how do you check voltage across the relay to the starter?

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Amen to that !! With totally dry carbs and without jumping the pump relay, it's usual to deplete the battery before enough fuel has been delivered to keep the bike running. Avoid any temptation to use starting fluid spray as it can cause damage to pistons, rings, cylinders.

5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    At your starter relay you have two cables that have ten millimeter nuts on them, one from the battery and one to the starter, check to be sure you have battery voltage to the starter cable or you can just jump the two connection as sort of a red neck kinda test........or how Crusty starts his bike normally.

6. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Wow, you guys certainly seem to know your V-4's! Good advice. In regards to your Pilot Screws, the initial setting is 2.5 turns out for the 750, and 3 turns out for the 700. I do not believe it to be neccesary to drill out the plugs to adjust them though. That is not your issue.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    The pilot screw settings listed are usually a littlle too lean for best running at low throttle openings and are set according to federal EPA standards to lower emissions.
    With any signs of uncertain running around idle speed or signs of surging at minimal throttle openings, try opening the mixture adjustment screws up to but not more than 3 1/2 turns