85 vf700 dying at idle

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by huck731, Sep 13, 2010.

1. huck731

huck731 New Member

I am pretty confused, my 85 vf700 dies at regular idle in the mornings (about 55-60 degrees.) but if I choke it a bit, it will continue to run, even at normail operating temp. It also randomly dies at stop signs and such when it should be idling even when the outside temp is warm. could this be due to the fact that the idiot shop that the previous owner took it to pu tto much oil in it when doing an oil change? and yes, I have checked to make sure that the idle is set correctly

2. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    I kept having this issue and could never trace it down exactly. I rebuilt the carbs and checked the valve clearances over this identical issue: Stalling when warm at idle, stalling at stop signs, choke keeps it going...

I brought the carbs into closer sync, which made stalling a semi rare occurring, and upped the idle to 2.25k rps to ensure that I wouldn't stall in traffic. I believe I have a random misfire that I cannot diagnose, that in conjunction with off sync carbs was bringing it to a stall. Now that they are in sync the occasional misfire wont bring it to a stall. I have checked every single ignition component and ruled them all out except for plug wires, as I had an extra set of the entire ignition system but those.

3. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    No - the idle has nothing to do with the oil level unless the air filters are submerged in oil.

Your bike has all the signs of clogged pilot jets. The only way to fix that is to take them out and clean them. No can of spray anything will fix that.

4. huck731

huck731 New Member

I am pretty smart when it comes to cars, but I am still learning motorcycle engines (even though i have been around them my whole life.) Am I safe top assume that the pilot jets are in the carbs?

5. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, and don't take the carbs off the airbox plate if you don't have to.

6. huck731

huck731 New Member

I guess I will have to pick up a manuel somewhere. Any suggestion on brands or is clymen the best choice?

7. donald branscom

Map
    Yes the pilot jets are in the carbs. The big one is the mainjet and the small one is the pilot jet.
    The pilot jet has a very small hole in it and can get clogged very easy especially if the motorcycle has been sitting and the fuel valve was turned off. You have to take the pilot jet out and hold it up to the daylight and make sure you can see through it. DO not use a paperclip to try to clean it out . It will ruin it. use carb cleaner.

8. donald branscom

Map
    DO NOT take the carbs off of the aluminum box.

9. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    I agree that the pilot circuit is where the issues lie. I would check to see what the pilot screws are set at. You never know, a simple adjustment might be all that is necessary.

10. huck731

huck731 New Member

ok, now that I have a probable solution to that. Will it hurt the bike any if I continue to ride it in this condition until I have a repair manuel to fix it?

11. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    If it just dies at idle and every once in a while I'd say it doesn't sound bad enough to cause any damage.