85 Vf700F Carbs

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Clippert, May 10, 2012.

1. Clippert

Clippert New Member

So this is what I'm dealing with, I bought this bike for cheap to play with a little. I got it home, fixed and repainted the fairings. Took out the carbs (pain in my ass), and cleaned them. Now the reason I cleaned them was that they were pretty gummy, and hesitating alot, and leaking a bit. I had a pretty nasty oil leak from the valve cover gaskets (fixed that). Now I put it all back together and it fired up, only with the choke then I got it to idol without it. I looked at the left side of the bike and now its pouring gas. So I pull off the carbs again (thinking I did a shitty job cleaning them (they weren't even bad).

I noticed that the leak wasn't coming from the bowls, but it looked like it was coming from where the fuel line went in. So I looked closer and discovered, that that pipe is cracked. I don't know if I did it removing/reinstalling the carbs, but its cracked now.

I guess my question is, can I JB weld that or something, or what the F is that part even called so I can buy one, or should I just take that cold-harted bitch to a pro and pay through the nose to have it repaired (if so who do u recommend?)

Id like to fix it myself if I can.

Advice Gentlemen Advice.....................

2. Pops

Pops New Member

Common problem with the older VFs. You won't find the plastic replacements, so head on over to V4Market and get yourself a set of metal ones. Heres the link: 85 VF700F, Page 2

This will solve the problem permanently! Just be careful when you seperate the carbs to install the new tubes - the plastic vent tubes need to be handled with care, and be mindful of all the springs that will be loosed when you seperate the carbs from each other!

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, i think JB would work, but i agree with pops that the replacement alternative is better.

Did you remove the airbox bottom from the carb set while you were cleaning ??

4. Clippert

Clippert New Member

I did not remove the airbox bottom. I was afraid to take the carbs apart. I guess im in for it now. Thanks, Ill order those and try try again.

5. Clippert

Clippert New Member

I was looking at that website, and was wondering if I should just do a full rebuild on the carbs anyway. If I do what kit should I get?

They all have different prices.

6. Pops

Pops New Member

The higher priced kits typically give you nicer hardware (screws) to put everything together with. When I rebuilt mine a couple months ago, I went to my local hardware store and bought black socket head cap screws to replace the stripped out phillips head screws that had been holding things together for thirty years.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

How much do you want to spend ? If you want to minimize costs, do the fuel tube and O-ring replacement, clean carbs throughly and properly, maybe replace float bowl gaskets as a precaution and see what you have. You can always go in again if something's wrong. Putting in a dozen new parts is buying insurance but may not be necessary and co$t$..

If you're not sure slow jets are really clean, just replace them @ about $5/each.

The carbs on all my '86-'97 Hondas are running fine with all the parts they came with.

Parts--except the float needle--don't wear out !!