86-87 exhaust questions: re gutting the cans

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by NWA_VFR700F, Feb 16, 2012.

1. NWA_VFR700F

NWA_VFR700F New Member

Map
    ok, I have thought about gutting my cans until I either score an actual 4-1 setup or until I finally fab my own and just had a couple questions. I've read different posts with different methods, such as removing the ends, cutting the silencers out, and replacing the ends, and another by using a hole saw around the tips to cut the welds and supposedly just sliding the silencer and all straight out the end. What is the best way to achieve this task? I'm not wanting it to be excessively loud, just wanting a bit more growl out of it. I've thought that if the hole saw method was possible, I could do that and fab up a couple tips just to make it look right while still having hollowed exhaust. Also, if you have gutted exhaust on an 86-87, do you have any sound clips for comparison vs the stock exhaust? Thanks for any advice.

2. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    I have not heard of people doing that, usually what people do if their collector pipes are still in good condition they take the cans off and replace with an aftermarket slipon can like a Supertrapp or something else along those lines.

3. McViffer

McViffer New Member

IF they are nice Id be willing to trade you for a 4 to 1 header with a older yosh can (not the one in my pic). PM me if interested and Ill snap some pics and send them to you.

4. NWA_VFR700F

NWA_VFR700F New Member

Map
    Sent ya a PM...just wondered if you got it