86 VF500 would need a complete restore, should I walk away?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by leftfield6, Feb 10, 2011.

1. leftfield6

leftfield6 New Member

Hi all, newbie here with one of the dreaded "should I buy this" questions! But this one has a twist, I promise.

I'm not a newbie to bikes, I've got a 1985 Nighthawk S that I have just about done everything to that I can. It's in near mint condition now, and can be configured for daily commuting, or sport touring. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

So, here is my question. In my constant quest to acquire multiple project vehicles to tinker with, I have stumbled across a truly basket-case 1986 VF500. Currently advertised on CL for $500, I'm sure it could be had for less. I get the feeling that 3 pictures of Benjamin Franklin would buy me a project bike.

So, here's what I know. 1986 VF500 with 26K on the clock, ran up until last summer when the current owner tried to repair a coolant leak, and butchered up the repair. Bike is sitting on newish tires, but other items are age-unknown (chain, brakes, etc).

Here is the real bummer. Bike is painted rattlecan flat black. I mean everything. Tank, plastics, even the freaking frame!! Oddly enough, it's this last one that bugs me. Why oh who would anyone paint that beautiful silver frame black? I'm betting it was done ON the bike, with NO parts removed. I'm betting there is overspray on everything. I know how anal I am. I would want to completely disassemble that bike, strip it to nothing, and start with a freshly repainted (maybe even powder coated) frame.

Man, that's a lot of work. Should I just walk away from this?

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Run. Run hard, run fast and do not look back.

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    agreed - there are 2nd and 3rd gen basketcases that can be found for the same $$ and are a far more solid platform to start with.

4. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice work on the Nighthawk S. I've always liked the styling of this model.

In regard to the '86 VF500F, as much as I am a fan of this bike I would say with 26K on the clock and what appears to be a less than stellar mechanical history this bike is a Pandora's box.

500 engines require conscientious owners. This equates to careful maintenance, letting the engine warm-up (i.e. get hot) before riding, and keeping the revs in check.

Let us know how you make out and I hope you do find the 'right' VF500F as First Gen owners are always welcome here!

5. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, if you are one or all of the following, do not buy it:

- You do not like a job well done
    - You do not enjoy riding an great motorcycle
    - You whine and cry about every little hiccup on a 25 year old motorcycle

If not, they buy it! The VF500F's are terrific motorcycles and I'm sure you would enjoy it thoroughly. Although a little bit more difficult to work on than the CB, I think you'd find wrenching on it pretty straightforward. That's a pretty good price too.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

6. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    That Nighthawk is NIIICE! The Nighthawk I believe is just about the best example of the UJM. About the VF..........My personal opinion is that a bike that looks like the one you describe has most likely not seen the best of care and maintenance. That said, maybe you could get the seller to allow you take it home and do some thorough mechanical inspection before taking payment, that way you will be able to determine just what you are in for. Good luck.

7. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    I dare you to buy it..........

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Welcome aboard from a fellow Atlanta member!! Buy it and I'll help you push it to the top of Stone Mountain and we'll roll it off together so that it can rest in peace forever LOL !! I say if you like a challenge and have deep pockets and plenty of patience buy it! Parts are not easy to find for those older bikes as I'm sure you already know.

Oh and forgot to mention that I absolutely love your Nighthawk. I actually considered purchasing one exactly like it a few years ago but opted out because I couldn't find one in good condition anywhere near me.

Rollin

9. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Unless you have time and alot of money, don't do it.

I have been restoring a 84 Ninja 900 that wasn't in horrible shape and that project has gone on for 2 years and is hitting close to 2,000 in parts and labor when all said and done. In addition parts for the 900 are everywhere and some are still made. Parts for the 500 were made by Honda for five minutes then they pulled the plug.

If you want an old bike to fix up pick another model.

Where is squirrelman when we need him!?

BZ

10. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map

I am gonna go right for the throat....I triple dog dare you!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, If you know what you are doing and don't care about spending time and money for parts, you go right ahead, Its your money. But truth be told, like Tinker said(damn , I am agreeing with him again) find a gen 2 or gen 3 that would give you more pleasure, parts for the gen 2 are getting scarce but you don't have oiling issues that the VF's are prone to have...either way good luck!!!!!!!!

11. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    All good points, I'll agree.

If I could add though, what is often left out when recommending the jump to a Second or Third Gen VFR is that there isn't a 500cc option available.

In addition, the VF500F has a 360 degree (AKA 'big bang') crankshaft and not a 180 degree crankshaft (which Honda changed to when they released the VFR series in '86).

Not to say the VFR line isn't top notch but the VF500F has many merits too.

12. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    I'll weigh in again. I bought my 500 for $1K, as seen in the pic, spent another $225 for tires, a carb gasket kit and a clutch slave kit and it was on the road after the usual carb cleaning, valve adjusting, detailing, etc. If you are dead set on a 500, I think I'd look around some more.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

13. petesabike

petesabike New Member

i got mine for £500. needed new head gaskets and exhaust, plus every time she got up to temp 2 cylinders cut out on the rear bank. all easy fixes since then not a prob, touch wood.

10,000 miles on n shes still goin like a good un. if u can get it to work it'll defiantly be worth it.

good luck.

14. loopsandlogic

loopsandlogic New Member

United States
    I purchased mine for $275 and it's cosmetically okay....but the guy put the headgaskets on backwards because he thought he had a head leak. Turned out it was the shaft seal on the water pump.

Got her to run and she sounds pretty good with 7k on the clock. Now all I need is to figure out the carb problems. There pretty common.

I'd say go for it. It'll be a good experience and I bet you'll love your end result

15. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    I double dog dare you to buy it.

16. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    After all that money and time, whadda you got ??

An outdated, troublesome, prone to destruction hand grenade that's 25 years past it's prime.

17. Mobtown

Mobtown New Member

United States
    Map
    Watch out man, that squirrel is trying to take a piss in your Cheerios.

I say it's about the journey, not the Return On Investment
    I say it's as much about garage time as saddle time.
    I say ride what you like, to hell with the critics.

I also say stay away from that bike. ANY motorcycle treated as that one has been is sure to be a pain. If you like the 500, then go find yourself a nice one. Leave this basket case to someone else.

18. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States

And we have a winner

Rollin

19. mandolinman

mandolinman New Member

I just restored a non running 1986 vf500 from sitting 15 years. The usual mechnicals were not bad, this website saved my bacon on the carb issues.
    So in my mind the cosmetics are pretty daunting to bring it back to that great red white and blue.
    Its your call, but if its running and rides go for it.

20. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I am all for projects like this as I have done a few myself. Based on your description of the bike and the $$, I would walk away. It does not sound like a good starting point to begin a restoration with. You can find something in much better shape for not much more money.