'86 vfr 700, WANT MORE POWER!!!!!

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Daelan-do, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Daelan-do

Daelan-do New Member

I have an 86 vfr 700, stage II, K&N, modified air box, and am in the process of installing a D@D 4/2/1 exhaust(modified to fit).

I am yet to hear of any mods for this bike that truly increase performance. Mine is a touch better than stock, but will in no way pull the front tire off the ground without significant persuasion.

I understand, if I want to wheelie, I'm on the wrong machine. Just lookin to pep it up a bit more. I love this bike, and have no desire to change machines. Any help would be welcome. Thanksssssssssssssssssss.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

hey there.
    first things first. want to wheelie, and want better acceleration, change you gearing. start by going one tooth smaller with your front sprocket and stock size rear sprocket. check it out and see what you think. from there go up one or two teeth in the rear. you will notice a huge difference if you do this modification. i would suggest getting all new sprockets and chain when you do this. don't use new sprockets with an old chain, and vice versa.
    for example, my dad has a '88 cbr 1000 with a bunch of work. i bought him new sprockets and chain last year and went up only one tooth in the rear. feels like a totally different bike. it will run dead even with a r1 from 80-100 rolls easy. sure you lose 5-6 mph up top, so if you run 140+ all the time this isn't the mod for you.
    next would be a 3mm overbore with different pistons and different cams, and ported/polished head.
    good luck, and let us know what you decide on doing!

3. Daelan-do

Daelan-do New Member

You are right. I forgot to mention that I had changed the front and rear sprocket. One down in the front and at least one up in the rear(can't remember). Definitely noticed a change, and didn't make it gearbound(as I was afraid of). I'm actually thinking of going up a couple more in the rear, just for kicks. I don't need to go over 100mph, although I know it will-hee! hee! hee! It's all about the ride.................................

But, I'm not willing to tear into the old dog until I have to. At which time, maybe a bore/port/polish/cam job may be in order. I suppose I was looking for that "secret" anecdote-a trick that only the wise old vfr nut may possess. Probably no such thing, but I'll keep lookin.

4. mozilla.v4snob

mozilla.v4snob New Member

Iridium spark plugs and a $3 bottle of octane booster made my grin stretch ear to ear. Also, try cleaning and reattaching your electrical connections (especially on the ignition coils), The stock wires are tiny and any corrosion can significantly hamper their performance. stronger spark usually equals a bit more kick. I have stock sprockets and don't wheelie very often, but the power difference was noticeable even on an 18 year-old bike. On the other hand, i've ssen several 750 motors for sale on Ebay for about $100. There's no "re-placement" for "dis-placement". ;D BTW, where did you get your sprockets from? I might consider dropping one tooth in the front just for more dramatic stoplight takeoffs.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Rear sprocket was easy to find at a local dealer. There are two dealers in my town, one was unsuccessful. The other found one after(if I remember right) a reasonably lengthy search. I remember doing the rear sprocket first, and not noticing a difference. Then I did the front-I liked it, so I put on a new chain to complete the package. If you are unable to find one local or on the internet, send me an e-mail and I may be able to get the name of where it was ordered from.

kziegler@tenforward.com