86 VFR 750/700 SWAP INFO NEEDED

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by This old VFR, Dec 13, 2020.

1. This old VFR

This old VFR New Member

United States
    Hello everyone I have a question I have two VFRs, 1st one I bought was a 86 750 sight unseen, turned out to be way more of a project cosmetically then I want to put into it ,bike is about a 5-10 every single piece of body work is faded and or cracked
    So I bought another one, a very clean VFR 700 with 90,000 and a bad 4th gear for $1200.00 . Cosmeticlly a she's a honest 8.5-10 has all the modifications planned on doing originally to the 750, Ohlins shock , 17" Enkei rim conversion ,race tech forks, and a decent custom high mount 4 into 1 w Yoshimura exhaust.
    It also came with a low mileage VFR 750 motor and another set of carbs. Per the service manual and notes I got with the bike,The 700 has custom jetting Are the carbs compatible from a 700 to a 750?

Now I'm thinking Id would like to install the 750 motor into the 700 frame, as it's much , cleaner. I guess I have options I could disassemble the 750 clean it up and then put the motor in it or put the spare 750 motor into the 700?
    What I need help with is are the electronics compatible? could somebody school me on all the differences between the two machines. CDIs? Etc... Ignition modules?
    Carbs? is there anything else I need to be aware of ?
    I would like to find all the information and then just give it to a mechanic around the southern California area I just want to know what to tell them so I know that it's being done right. I like to get this thing going , I'd like to find a small knowledgeable vintage race bike shop ,where can drop it off & monthly payments until it's done.
    I don't have the skill/ training to do valve adjustments ,cam inspections etc.. certainly willing to learn if anybody's in SoCal.
    I Believe both bikes are 86s.
    Each carries the classic red/ white/ blue paint scheme.
    In my opinion one of the best looking and sounding bikes of the 80s.
    My goal has always been a basic AMA replica. I meant Fred Merkel once (fun story) riding motorcycles.... And invited me and friends to his house to party ...lol
    So 30+ yrs later the VFR kinda has to go that way to pay Homage
    I was all gung-ho for a left side 4 into 1 exhaust until I saw a video of the AMA superbikes running right side exhaust so now that saves me the cost of doing that the bikes ready to go just need a motor.

Any help advice opinions is appreciated thank you in advance.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  2. Boomtank

Boomtank New Member

United States
    Map
    I would start with getting the manuals for both bikes. Though they may be covered in the same book. This should give you some ideal as to carb and valve specs.
    IAs far as the carbs are concerned, a look for the part numbers on any web site would be the thing to do. But I do believe they are the same.
    And, yes, nothing like that v4 honda sound

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

3. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Old VFR.... I would strongly recommend talking to Adam at Iconicmotorbikes here in LA. He's at Hanger 1 at The Santa Monica Airport. I'm just a few miles from there in Playa Del Rey. 424\228-4148 open Tuesday - Saturday and they do weekend rides to The Rock Store as well...... just sayin'

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    If you have titles, keep the RC24 motor in the RC24 frame. Strip the more valuable 750 down for a good cleaning and service. Now transfer all of the best, cool parts to that chassis, including the jetted carbs, and enjoy.

As long as everything is 1986. it will all mix-n-match.

Keep the extra 750 motor. They are pretty bomb proof but you never know.

Sell the 700 with all of the second rate parts to get back some dough. Or split the cases and repair the gear, it's really not that bad. You don't have to remove the cams or heads.

5. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map

I just did this and can say its not as hard as you'd expect. Daunting at first, but all in all not bad once you have at it.