86 VFR 750 inner left hand fairing panel

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by rc24ste, Jun 2, 2020.

1. rc24ste

rc24ste New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Anyone got a spare one of these?
    [​IMG]

Its part number is 64595-ML7-000ZA. The picture above is from CMS's website. The problem is that the panel they have in stock is from an 87 VFR - it is a darker colour blue than the 86 model and has this part number 64595-ML7-700ZA. I've looked all over the world for one of these cowls and learned the hard way that there is a difference between the two. I have two inner panels which are off an 87 VFR! Not good.
    So, if you have an undamaged spare off an 86 VFR 750 or 700 PLEASE get in touch.
    Fingers crossed.
    Steve

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I'm 87 left panel rich. These were the last two you could order directly from Honda and were supposed to be left and right. The bags were sealed and had the correct part numbers, but both were lefts. Tried to re-order, there really weren't anymore.
    [​IMG]

Good luck on a right 86, you'll need it. I'm looking for a 87 right here in the states.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. rc24ste

rc24ste New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thanks for your reply!

Please can I buy one of your left hand panels? It's the right colour. I have a spare RH darker blue panel. off a 87 VFR. It's not new and I can send you a picture of it if you are interested.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    PANEL, L. (INNER) *PB164* (VICTORY BLUE)
    64595-ML7-000ZA supersedes to 64595-ML7-700ZA

This is for the U.S. 1986 VFR700FII and the U.S. 1987 VFR700F2. You say you have two different blues?

CMSNL show both sides still available. I would buy a right but shipping from them to the US is terrible.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  5. rc24ste

rc24ste New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Yeah my RH panels are a slightly darker blue. Maybe it is an age thing or something to do with the effects of UV light?

I do think though that as the 87 VFR had a different part number for the panels Honda did change the colour slightly. The blue vinyl on the seat also went a slightly darker shade of blue on the 87 VFR. The 87 VFR had far more changes made to it than magazine reviews reported at the time.

I'll post up some pictures tomorrow to show you what I mean - its too dark here to do it now.

6. Paul Myers

Paul Myers New Member

Canada
    Map
    I was planning on making a mould of the originals. I have in mind to make some carbon replacements for my project bike but I think I will have to resort to vacuum bagging to do it well.
    I've made moulds for the race car but have yet to do vacuum bagging so it will be interesting when I get around to it. Need to get materials and vacuum pump.

7. rc24ste

rc24ste New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hey that sounds promising. That's a great skill to have. I've just been having a look at the process and kits that you can buy for it. Would be great to follow your efforts on this. Is that a Porsche 924 or 944 in your picture? Always loved those cars and wish Porsche still made them.
    :Bravo::Bravo::Bravo:

8. Paul Myers

Paul Myers New Member

Canada
    Map

9. rc24ste

rc24ste New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Sorry about the car. I suppose the main thing is that you survived the crash, hopefully unscathed and have 14 years of racing memories to savour. That's what I try and tell myself when I have thrown a motorcycle down the road! Presumably the Porsche was beyond repair hence starting out with a new one? Speaking of 968's, this would be nice!

[​IMG]

A car you may be aware of?
    The stance and muscular purposeful look is spot on to me. Would take one of these over just about any other car if I'm being honest.

Can you use vacuum bagging for rubbery/plastic stuff which I think is what the VFR's inner fairing panel is made of?

10. Paul Myers

Paul Myers New Member

Canada
    Map
    The panels themselves are more than stiff enough to cut a mould off. Would need to find some neoprene or closed cell trim to recreate the edging. Someone like Captain 80s may have an idea of a close replica on that.

My intention is to make them for a project bike (3rd on my list of projects) so recreating the exact trim is not that important to me. Target for me is functional and looks decent. I think it will look trick but we'll see. I might do it when making some more moulds for the race car since I will have all the gear out.
    As with anything you need to mount the piece enough to stay in shape but the plastic panels are fairly stiff to start with. They only need mounting to keep them in one place while making the mould.

The trick with plastic is to only do one or two layers of glass initially.. The resin curing builds significant heat. Too much and it can damage the original part. You also need to prep the part really well to make a nice replica and prevent it permanently becoming part of the mould....really sucks when that happens.

Yes I have seen the Turbo RS. The rear wing on my race car is a close replica of the one on that car.
    Given this is a motorcycle forum I'll restrain myself to posting one pic and here is something I did a number of years ago for fun. Cliched but what the heck

Attached Files:

11. rc24ste

rc24ste New Member

United Kingdom
    Map

Enjoyed the video thanks. That yellow car (RX7?) was definitely holding you up in the corners. As for the photo, seeing you ahead of a BMW was extremely satisfying.

If you can make the inner fairing panels near factory standard I think you may have plenty of takers on this forum. Look forward to seeing how it goes!

Here are some pictures of my RH 86 VFR 750 panel:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like being exposed to the sunlight for over 30 years darkens off the panel that faces the sky.

12. rc24ste

rc24ste New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    It is a left hand 86 panel that I need. As you need a right hand one which I have, how about doing a deal with me?