86 vfr engine start

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Gowkaizer, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Gowkaizer

Gowkaizer New Member

I'm thinking of buying a 86vfr but the bike has not been started in a couple yrs ??? Will i have any problems with a engine sitting so long :-/, and what should i do first b4 starting the engine? thxs on any feedback.

2. Mark Peffer

Mark Peffer New Member

United States
    If it's been parked for any length of time with fuel in it, count on it needing a complete fuel system cleaning (carbs removed/torn down/total cleaning) along with verification that the tank is clean (seal it up otherwise). Check engine compression to get a general idea of it's health. Put a little bit of clean motor oil in each cylinder and spin it over (preferably slowly, by hand, of the right end of the crank). If you wind up removing the carbs for work, take the time to remove the valve covers. Check the valve-train/cams for condition (should be OK unless oil changes were neglected) and check valve clearances. Flush out the old coolant (can replace with distilled water for the first fire-up, but put in a silicant-free afterwards). Keep us advised of your progress!

Colddevil likes this.
  3. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Well, that all depends. And that's part of the gamble of buying 37 year old bike with an unknown history. Mark Peffer gave you a pretty good idea of where to start. It depends on what your goals are with the bike.

I'd be pulling the tank, carburetors, and valve covers. If your tank is full of rust, you have to deal with that. If your carburetor has been sitting with old fuel in it (and potentially even if it hasn't), you have to deal with that. And if you've already got the carburetors out, you might as well pull the valve covers off to inspect the cams and valve train to determine if it's even worth putting money into.

Don't overpay for a bike that doesn't run.

4. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    I sincerely doubt that the OP is still interested as the post is nearly exactly 20 years old

5. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    hahahaha shit I just saw the new reply and assumed it was new.

Well, the 37 year old bike was only 17 when the post was started. It couldn't even buy cigarettes!