86 VFR, Motad exhaust, need help

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Daelan-do, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Daelan-do

Daelan-do New Member

After an excruciating search, I found a new aftermarket exhaust for my 86 vfr 700. A Motad 4/1. It is shiny and looks nice, but bad sound and no increase in power.

I modified the air box and installed a Dynojet stage 2 and it began to hesitate a bit at about 5-6000rpm(unless I am really on it). I believe this is because the exhaust doesn't breathe well enough.

Now that I have the 4 to 1 headers, is there any reason I couldn't use a slip-on for another bike? I know I would have to make some minor modifications, but that wouldn't be a problem. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has ever done it, and what exhaust would be recommended for the job?

2. tumuchNOS

tumuchNOS New Member

I have a Yosh full pipe and it sounds great. It was on the bike when I bought it though and I had to add alot of jet before it ran real well. I don't think you can buy that kit anymore, maybe ebay?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

TumuchNOS,

Thanks. Would love to have a Yosh, but they don't make them anymore for the '86 VFR. I've been watching Ebay diligently for 8 months. Very few and far between with a going price more than new. I'm trying to figure out whether I can modify a slip-on from a more current model for my bike. If you have any ideas, I would love to hear.

4. kmcallaway

kmcallaway New Member

yes, you can use a slip on from another bike. anything is possible. how does your can attach to your midpipe?
    my dad has a '86 vfr 700 and we've been looking for full systems for a while. how much was the motad? aren't the lasers $700?
    we have an old set of decent looking stock canisters, and i've been thinking of cutting them open to remove most of the packing, then cuting 1/3 of the length.
    the stock header and pipes are so damn heavy!!!
    do you have pics of your bike w/the motad?

kmc
    "still looking...."

5. NorCalVFR

NorCalVFR New Member

I presume you have solved your problem by now ... but if not, check out supertrapp/kerker ... www.supertrapp.com ... they have a line of "universal" mufflers. You match up the diameter of the pipe to the muffler, then tune the muffler by adding and subtracting baffles. I suppose if you want to "ace" the process, the bike should be on a dyno as the baffles are added and removed until the best horsepower/torque power band is found, but a good tuner could probably do it by ear, especially with carbs and no fuel injection.