86 VFR700 High Idle after warm up

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by pasta_bob, Jul 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pasta_bob

pasta_bob New Member

United States
    I recently picked up an 86 VFR700. After the engine gets a chance to warm up the idle climbs way up to 4000(ish) rpm and never comes back down. The guy said he had recently replaced the carb O rings and had not had a chance to sync them since. Is this possible. I am currently whipping up a dyi vacuum meter to try and balance them. What other things might I want to inspect first before trying to sync the carbs?? Bit of a bike noob here but any help would be extremely appreciated.
    Thanks

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    you already tried backing out the idle speed adjusting screw ?? does the bike idle OK before warming up ? check that the carbs, boots and cylinder intakes are fully seated. spray carb cleaner around the boots while running to check for air leaks. O-rings ?? which ones ?

3. pasta_bob

pasta_bob New Member

United States
    Have not been able to locate the idle adjust screw...when i plugged in my vacuum meter it said that the front right carb (#4?) is pulling the hardest by a substantial amount. I will check for leaks tomorrow. It seemed to idle somewhat smoothly when it was colder but at higher rpms seemed a bit rougher. as far as O rings I do not know I texted him so we will see what he says.

4. pasta_bob

pasta_bob New Member

United States
    Well i decided to say screw it and get to know the girl so I pulled the carb today and did a full clean and bench sync. One of the boots looks less than ideal so guess theres a chance it was leaking.

With the carb off i noticed a bit of carbon build up on the plunger looking guys (valves?!?). Saw some videos of people on the internet pouring some cleaner in there. Is this advisable or might i do more harm than good? Thought it made since as i have the carbs off

Attached Files:

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Hello and welcome pasta bob! Throw up an intro thread when you have a chance

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    carbon there is normal, so don't do anything. carbs are fragile; don't drop them !

remember, you can't be certain slow jets are fully clean and open until you can push a .010" wire through the jet.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017