'86 VFR750: Starter Running?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by deja vu, Aug 16, 2019.

1. deja vu

deja vu New Member

United States
    Started the bike in the garage to check something on the exhaust. I turned off the bike and the starter sounded like it was trying to start the bike (?). I twisted the key back to run and the bike immediately started and I could faintly hear the starter running. Immediately I took off the side cover on the bike and removed one of the bolts on the battery to shut it off (all of this probably took at most 15 seconds).

I then inspected the starter solenoid area and...well...you can see what happened. Obviously something shorted out. About 4 months ago I replaced the regulator/rectifier with a MOSFET unit and haven't had any other problems. The bike is in outstanding condition (just turned 9,200 miles - I purchased it about 6 months ago with 8,700 miles).

Anyone have any additional insight into what may have happened? Should I just splice the connector to the relay and replace the solenoid? I had recently replaced the solenoid and until now haven't had any problems. Has anyone else seen this or had it happen to them?

Attached Files:

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    most '86 VFR's suffer from the same problem sooner or later. Honda had great mechanical engineers but piss-poor electrical designers. once the plug melts it can trigger the starter.

it starts like this:

june 1 2019 014.JPG
    and eventually becomes this:

july 1 2019 029.JPG

the #1 most defective part on any bike i ever owned.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2019
  3. deja vu

deja vu New Member

United States
    Looks like the solution is to replace the starter solenoid, splice the wires with new spade connectors and hope for the best going forward?

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    no, just crimp new connectors in place. the solenoid is still ok; it's the red plug that's buggered.

5. deja vu

deja vu New Member

United States
    Well...I replaced the new connectors, replaced the starter solenoid (the old one split in half when I removed the partially melted connector from the top) and...nothing. When I turn the ignition key, the bike's dead - no lights, no nothing. So, I checked:
    • Fusebox - the 10a ignition fuse is fine
    • Main fuse - the 30a main fuse is fine
    • Connections - continuity along the wiring into the integral spade connectors in the starter solenoid connector and all is fine
    • Regulator/rectifier - I swapped the R/R from the VFR700 to the VFR750 and nothing

At this point, I'm stumped and have a dead bike. Does anyone have any ideas on what to try next? The bike was running perfectly, other than the melted connector which caused the starter to run when I turned off the bike...

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    i'd suspect a poor connection between the red and red/white wires at the spade terminals on the solenoid. r/r would have no effect on the problem.

7. deja vu

deja vu New Member

United States
    Yes - I was hoping it was that initially - then I checked and had continuity between the bottom of the spade connectors and the wire. That said, out of an abundance of caution, this evening after your comment I removed the connectors from the wires (cut a couple of them and crimped on insulated, individual spade connectors) and connected these to the solenoid...and no dice. Still dead. I jiggled the connectors with the ignition turned on to see if perhaps there was a flash of light and nothing.

As an aside, this issue might have been going on for a couple of rides - is there a chance this could have taken out something else? I had initially wondered about the R/R - I see in the wiring diagram that there's a diode tied back to the ignition switch. Realizing I'm grasping at straws, it doesn't appear the connector itself is the problem and I have two solenoids, so I should be able to rule this out tomorrow morning. Battery is measuring 12.62v.

8. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    If you put the ignition switch in the "P" position, do you have a taillight?

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    try reversing the positions of the red and red/white wires.

10. deja vu

deja vu New Member

United States
    You're on the right track and I can't believe this @#$%

No light - see most recent post.

11. deja vu

deja vu New Member

United States
    file-41.jpeg So...after racking my brain (what's left of it at any rate), I noticed something weird: The '86 VFR750 starter solenoid has a "B" on one terminal and an "M" on the other terminal. The (presumably) stock starter solenoid had the "B" on the right side when looking at the solenoid with the fuse in the front. I quickly checked the '87 VFR700 and it also has the "B" on the right side. The two replacement starter solenoids have the "M" on the right - one came from Ebay and the other came from a very reputable Honda dealer (Partzilla). Not having anything to lose and since DC is polarity-sensitive...

...I reversed the terminals on the sides and remounted the starter solenoid, the bike immediately powered on when after I turned the ignition. Of course, the starter wasn't yet connected (I didn't have the plug in the starter solenoid). After some troubleshooting and a blown ignition fuse, I completely reversed the wires on the plug and the bike started.

The strange thing about it is that one of the starter solenoids was from a shady source (I picked it up because of the red plug that came with it) and the other is from a legit source - they must have changed the configuration, though mounting with the fuse on the inside requires a great deal of care. I had to trim back wires (was worried about creating some inductance with the birds nest of wires) and rely on zip ties.

After all this, I got the bike ready for a short ride and...it started blowing fuses when I pressed the starter. The small metal hook on the left hand terminal (the "M" side) had apparently dug into one of the spade connectors and I had to trim back the hook (this one cost me 4 10a fuses). It's all good now and the bike is running great. That said, I was surprised about the change in configuration - perhaps this post helps someone else if they run into a similar issue. I'll keep digging online for a replacement starter solenoid with the "B" on the right (when the fuse is facing you).

Thanks to all for your input - greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  12. deja vu

deja vu New Member

United States
    Solenoid found and fully operational...