86 vfr750 suspension upgrade

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by vejesse, Jun 5, 2007.

1. vejesse

vejesse New Member

Hi I have an 86 vfr750. Has anyone installed Progressive fork springs on their bike? I have to change fork seals so I thought while I was at it I would try these springs. I've heard that a fork brace helps too. If anyone has experienced improvement (or not) with these add ons please let me know.

Thanks

2. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Progressive springs are not necessarily all they are cracked up to be. Their progressive nature makes them too soft over the small stuff and too harsh over the big. For the best performance a straight rate spring can be a better choice. Try RaceTech or Sonic Springs (and others) for options.

Fork braces can help but do not really 'change' anything. The best improvement you can make to the stock forks (besides a full rebuild) is a set of RaceTech Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators. They totally transform the way the front end performs. Most people that I install these for choose to stick with the stock springs though optimum performance would be gained by doing both. The valving is the heart and soul of the forks, that crummy damping rod technology is never going to get you where you want to be from a performance standpoint.