87 700 Hot Temps

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Zpayne, Jul 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Zpayne

Zpayne New Member

Hey guys! I've been a long time lurker here for any issues I have with my bike, but I haven't found any threads about the heat of the bike.
    When I'm riding through the city in traffic I have to stop after maybe 10 min due to overheating.
    Is this normal or is my radiator broken or is there a hack or something that can cool off the engine while I'm not moving.
    Any advice or help is welcome! :D

2. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
    Does the fan ever come on? When was the last time the coolant was changed? How long does it take the bike to warm up when first started (is the thermostat working)?

3. Zpayne

Zpayne New Member

I don't even know if the fan comes on. I changed the coolant last year with waterwetter. It warms up in about 5 min, not too long.

4. VT_VFR

VT_VFR New Member

United States
    Map
    You'll know if the fan comes on. It makes an extra whirring noise that isn't normally present. At least that's what my experience dictates. Have the thermostat checked, I just recently went through this on my '87 where it would over heat in 10 minutes of traffic or so. There isn't a switch on your right inner plastic panel thingy (technical term) is there? Some of the older VFR's had fan mods so that they have to be switched on manually.

5. Zpayne

Zpayne New Member

I don't know if there is an extra whirring noise. I'll check out the thermostat. and there isn't a switch on the plastic panel thingy lol. I was wondering if there was a mod to get the switch.

6. VT_VFR

VT_VFR New Member

United States
    Map
    By extra whirring noise, I meant at idle you should definitely hear it. I can tell when my fan is on at idle even with headphones in... If I have time tomorrow I'll try and post an audio of the bike running with and without the fan. Maybe that will help. My guess would be that your fan isn't coming on. I'd recommend putting in a switch to make it manual anyways. That way when you know you're coming up on traffic you can flip it on and avoid running too hot.

7. Zpayne

Zpayne New Member

Oh, well then my fan isn't working. Is there an electrical fix, or is it the fan's fault?

8. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
  9. Zpayne

Zpayne New Member

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Check the coolant lever under the rad cap when the engine is cool.

Replace the thermoswitch on the radiator and/or add a manual switch.

11. Zpayne

Zpayne New Member

I was working on the bike last night. Found the right wires and hooked it straight up to the battery with the switch grounded and the fan worked! So my friend and I plug the stuff back up and the fan doesn't work. The hot lead wasn't getting any juicy juice. After tracking the wire down to the fuse box, we came across a connector clip that has been unplugged for quite a while. After clipping it back together and zip tying it to ensure it doesn't happen again, I have a fully working fan. It comes on at 2/3rds heat and keeps it there. First time in 3 years it's worked!
    Moral of the story is, check connections before anything else.

12. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
    Excellent news!

13. MiddleTBabb

MiddleTBabb New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats on your easy fix!

14. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
    well hell, here i am late to the game and you already have the problem solved. cooling has been an issue with the Interceptor since day 1, and there are a few known problems and fixes.

(1) the coolant temp sensor (im sure its called something else) is prone to failure. that sensor basically serves as an automated toggle switch for the radiator fan. the switch fails, you have no fan, you overheat.

(2) you already had the idea of water wetter. that stuff just rules.

(3) there's an aftermarket fan blade that you can hunt down (if anybody wants me to, I have one in the garage waiting to go on the bike and I can get the make and part #) that pushes more air than the stock blade and will help keep things cooler.

(4) if you really wanna go balls out, theres a 7 row radiator for a gsxr 1000 (though I cant remember what year to save my life) that can mount on the VFR, though I think it takes some modification.

(5) ........or was that a gsxr 1000 oil cooler. something like that. the only thing you gotta watch out for is the potential of keeping the coolant and/or oil TOO cool. I think that can cause issues too. Here in Texas though, the cooler the better IMO.

15. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    If you don't know when it's been changed, good idea to flush cooling system and refill with fresh stuff.

Even a working fan won't cool the bike if the thermoswitch on the rad is shot, if coolant quantity is too low or rad cap won't hold proper pressure.