8th Gen Chain adjustment ?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by straycat, Aug 26, 2020.

1. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Guys, my 2014 VFR800 has just passed 5000km and ive never adjusted the chain as of yet. I know its not a lot of mileage for a 6 yr old bike but here we are.

The process of doing the adjustment is simple enough, I just went through it and snugged it up a wee bit. My concern is, the halfway point between the 2 sprockets (30cm) for the slack measurement coincides with the lowest part of the swing arm, so its hard to get an accurate 25mm-35mm slack measurement at that particular point as the chain will readily hit the rubber guard on the Bottom of the swing-arm even when its too tight.

I like to run a looser chain, but measuring this one is a bit odd if you follow the manual. like most chains there are usually looser and stiffer parts of the chain so I always find the stiffest part and mark it, put the bike on the side stand (per manual) and take my measurements/make adjustments.

Where on the chain are you guys measuring your 35mm without it hitting the rubber guard under the swing arm ? If I measure 2" further forward I can get a 35mm measurement but by then the chain has contacted the rubber, any tighter and its just too tight (in my opinion).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  2. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Anyone adjusted their 8th gen chain that is willing to share?

3. Economist

Economist New Member

United States
    Map
    In the four years I have owned mine, I have only adjusted the chain twice. Each time, I measured where it said in the manual, and set it to the slack it said in the manual. I never worried about it beyond that.

4. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    From memory mid point is just behind the foot peg. It’s been a while since I’ve had to adjust the chain. Not back home till Monday will recheck then if you need me too.

5. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Guys.

Ill take another look see.

when I measured half way (per the manual) it was at a spot that would make it very difficult to get a 25-35mm play adjustment. Ill see where "just behind the foot peg" lands me, it likely close to where I measured.

Ill report back if I need you to check for me again fink

6. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I just adjust mine "loose" and spend more time keeping it very clean and lubed my way. To me, loose means not as tight as the manual wants me to tighten it. I don't want it so loose it's "floppy" or so tight it's hard to push up. So, I'm closer to the floppy side but not quite there. That's the best I can describe it. I never measure my chains. I just know that my way gets me 28K miles from a chain which isn't too bad.

Once in a great while I clean it. It stays clean by wiping it before every lubing with a blue paper towel. I then either use Honda lube or Mobil 1 differential lube very lightly. I think most people way over lube chains which shortens their life by attracting and holding onto grit from the road. Just another way to do it. FWIW.

VFRIRL likes this.
  7. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I sit on the bike suspension compressed and still like to feel some loose movement in the chain at that, too tight will ruin the output shaft bearing over time, clean with kerosene and lube with 80/90 gear oil, no wax ever.

8. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks fella's.

Ive kept mine looser thank Honda would like. I use Motul Chain Lube, but I also clean with Kerosine