8th gen rear brake caliper possibly adapted to fit 5th gen

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by artpongs, Feb 10, 2017.

1. artpongs

artpongs New Member

United States
    Map
    I've located on eBay a picture of the 8th gen master cylinder and it is 14mm, which matches the F4i master cylinder I currently have installed on my 5th gen with delinked brakes with stock modified rear caliper. So in theory, the 8th gen rear caliper that is smaller, and lighter which uses 2 pistons can be adapted to fit the 5th gen as long as a custom brake carrier can be fabricated.

This is provided obviously if you already or are planning to get rid of the linked brake system on the stock bike. Will be researching more and reaching out to fabricators that are able to make this happen if everything lines up.

Art

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I've looked into this the rear caliber. It was also used on the Cross X and the CBR1000 with the SSSA. I took an in depth look at what it would take. though close and with some machine work it may just work. But it's definitely a different caliber mount. at first I thought, Nice, a simple swap, Nope.

3. artpongs

artpongs New Member

United States
    Map
    I realize this as I guess my wording in my post is a bit confusing. I confirmed the master cylinder on 8th gen is 14mm the same as the F4i rear used for the delink M/C swap. Originally searched and inquired for custom carrier to adapt the 8th gen onto the 5th. But even better now, in talks with custom fabricator now for custom rear brake carrier, for single piston aftermarket caliper to clean and lighten up that rear hub area once and for all for anyone that goes the delink route. Stay tuned.

Art