91 or 87 octane?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by cybrstar, Jan 23, 2009.

?

What ocatane do you use?

1. 91 (Ohh yeah, only way is the performance way!)

21 vote(s)
    21.0%
  2. 89 (I like it in between)

9 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. 87 (Seem to ride just fine)

66 vote(s)
    66.0%
  4. Who cares, Gas is Gas

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. cybrstar

cybrstar New Member

Map
    I was wondering which octane are you guys using? Is 91 a manditory? or is 87 okay to use?

Since owning the bike, I've been using 91. But since I use the bike for commuting, or long rides (with twisties), is it okay to use 87? Don't want to sound like a cheepo, but 87 is also .25 cheaper a gallon.:tongue:

2. Craig in Alabama

Craig in Alabama New Member

Hi Cybrstar,
    I also have a '95, and I'm pretty sure the manual calls for 87 octane. Mine runs fine on it no matter what type of ride I'm on. It doesn't do any good to run higher octane than the manufacturer specifies on a stock vehicle.
    Cheers!
    Craig :smile:

3. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    87 with Stabil per tank.

4. hondajt

hondajt New Member

93 Octane is standard Premium around here, and what i always use.

5. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    On another gasoline thread, I replied that I always used 91 in all my bikes. So many other members had tried 89 or 87 that I decided to try 89 in the '07 VFR and the '00 SV650. Power seems the same, mileage seems the same, and vibration seems the same.

So old dogs can learn new tricks. They just can't always remember where they left them.

6. Comicus

Comicus New Member

United States
    Map
    I started with 93 but switched to 87 and there is absolutely no change in how the bike performs

7. kingsley

kingsley New Member

Canada
    Map
    I use 87. You only need higher octane if you have pre-ignition (ping) problems.

8. JJbigbird

JJbigbird New Member

87 rocks!!!!!!

9. 1luckydude

1luckydude New Member

you'll benefit from running the LOWEST octane with no ping or knock. You can actually LOSE HP from running too high of octane due to the slower burning of the higher octane.

10. txviffer

txviffer New Member

I just went and checked my '94 owners manual on recommended fuel octane. Honda says these engines are made to run on 86 octane and higher.
    They said that if you experience persistent 'spark knock' and 'ping' under steady load try a different brand gas. They add that occasional light 'spark knock' under heavy load is ok and means the motor is operating efficiently.

11. hondabill

hondabill New Member

United States
    Map
    in my 86 vf500f and my 85 vf1000r i run 91 or higher neither one will hardly run at all on any thing lower .my 96 and 2000 run as good on 87 as they do 91

12. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    No need to run higher octane unless you experience preignition(ping).My 2004 has never pinged on '87.Several dirtbikes I've had in the past have required more octane due to ping issues,adding more octane,does not increase performance,just a drain to your wallet.I recall some indepth fuel discussions concerning this here in the past.On a related note,my late stepmother drove a Chrysler new yorker and only put premium in it(the best),it drove my father nuts(engineer).I own the car now,it runs great on 87 regular.My 2 cents...common sense?

13. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

ding ding ding! we have a winner! Using a higher octane than an engine was designed for can do just that!

87 FTW!

14. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Those options should read:
    91 octane: I like to throw money away
    89 octane: I'm not sure what to do
    87 octane: The factory engineers just might know what they were talking about.

;)

15. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

Basically the only times an engine needs the resistance to detonation that a higher octane fuel provides is if it has very high compression (either by design or excessive carbon buildup in the combustion chambers) or a ton of ignition advance. Basically for the people that don't know, detonation (pinging, spark knock) is an ignition of the fuel air mixture by a source other than the spark plug. when that flame front collides with the flame front created by the spark plug- that's where the noise comes from. A lot of very bad things also can come from detonation like holes blown in pistons and burned valves. When the manufacturer specifies a specific fuel octane it is based on what the engineers have designed into the powertrain for the range of use it is expected to see.

Running a higher octane is really quite pointless- it was designed for 87 so to run anything higher is just wasting money. I'm not sure if the VFR uses a knock sensor, but I know even in cars that specify premium, a lower octane can be used, but the ecm will just dial back the ignition advance to prevent detonation and the operator won't get full power from the engine.

87 FTW!

16. skivfr1

skivfr1 New Member

I run premium in all my toys........ even though it's overkill! 87 is just fine, though!

17. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    Boyles law.PxV=T .Basic physics.Work that around.Badass nerds know the gas/octane thing.No need to delay the ignition unless you have to...PING.

18. Carnage

Carnage New Member

I ran premium in mine a few times and my mileage goes down quite a bit. 87 works just fine and saves money.

19. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I've done 91 and 87 octane and I can't really tell a difference in power at all. The best power gain I've ever had was just from upgrading to a new air filter and new spark plugs.

20. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    P is the pressure.VFR's do not have high compression engines.HondaTech,the (flame)you talk about is the pressure.High compression engines,due to the pressure, ignite the fuel before the spark.Reducing the volume(piston movement) increases the pressure=temperature(no spark needed)ignites the fuel...Peace n Love...Derstuka needs some