92 VFR750 needs paint or plastics

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by jimmy.miller.969952, Jun 11, 2014.

1. jimmy.miller.969952

jimmy.miller.969952 New Member

My 1992 vfr750 plastics are hammered! I bought it recently and the more I go through maintenance the more I am finding zip ties and clear scotch tape (yeah scotch tape) holding my plastics together... For the most part, it is just cracked but there are pieces that are completely seperated... I bought the bike for 1400 bucks so spending that much on a new paint job is not what I'm looking to do if I can help it... Id rather throw 1000 bucks into mechanical items and servicing and save money by finding aftermarket plastics or welding and repainting myself... I paint houses for a living and am not afraid to tackle the project as long as I learn the proper prep to do as well as how to finish it.... I am happy to take pictures if it will help you guys to help me.
    Thanks!

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Cutting through all the opinions and BS, your best bet is to hit your public library or do some homework then pop for a book on the subject (s).

Most "plastic" on cars and bikes is either fiberglass or ABS plastic. The fairing on your bike is ABS.

Most of the "magic" fixit shit on the market is just that. The big enemy is cutting corners.

After the repairs you will need paint. Any of the several methods of joining or rejoining this type plastic requires removal of the paint on both sides of the damaged area.

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    No pictures>? Jeez what a gyp. :worthless:

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Your stock colour is called "granite-blue" I did a colour-rite match and for the most part, it came oot nice. I did not paint the tail section or the tank, there is a slight variation in the colour, but it is much nicer than what it used to be. That paint job was 7 years ago done by a doode, that has a paint booth and likes to paint bikes.

How many miles did you pick it up with? Good Luck ; )