92 VFR750FN Electrical issue. Looking for ideas.

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by rabbitson, Mar 18, 2021.

1. rabbitson

rabbitson New Member

Belgium
    Map
    Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice regarding a problem that I had recently. Here is an overview:

Charged the battery, rode the bike three times without issues.

The fourth time (about 30 mins after the last successful ride), I turned the key and all of the dash lights were out (note: even the clock, which was on when the ignition is in the off position), no starter sound or any relays clicking.

Suspect at this point, ignition barrel wiring, give it a good old wiggle, no response.
    Ho hum, need to get home, bike on trailer etc. Suspect a wiring problem, I'll look at it tomorrow...

Got home, thought, I should charge the battery just in case.

Plugged it into the optimate, doesn't seem to accept any charge, decide to unplug it, just in case. I'll come and have a proper look tomorrow. Suspect at this point, maybe the main fuse has blown.
    Next day, I decide to have a look at the problem.

Turn the key, lights on, ignition start, vroooom, nothing seems wrong, plug the battery into the optimate, starts accepting charge....

Very strange.

Any comments

Bike is a 1992 VFR750FN which I have owned and used for the last 9 years.

2. jethro

jethro New Member

United States
    Map
    I would say you have a poor connection somewhere. Start with the battery terminals and make sure they are clean and tight and then work out from there on both cables. Main fuse might have some corrosion on it and removing and installing it a few times might wipe it clean, When the r/r goes bad that can cause weird things to happen.

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    when the bike is running check with a meter that you have good charging at the battery terminals, at least 13.5 volts. the plug between the 3 stator wires and the r/r is a common problem.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021