93 Vfr750f Not shifting!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Truman, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Truman

Truman New Member

United States
    just recently bought a 93vfr as a project, mechanically inclined but i lack experience as im only 19. i bought the bike knowing it doesnt run or shift for a couple hundred dollars. with some wiring work and a battery replacement ive got the bike trying to turn over, re-wired a cut relay, (as the previous owner decided its wise to bypass a safety feature). next the fuel pump didnt want to prime when the igniton is on, so i tore it all apart again. discovering the pump was faulty. with a replacement on the way i hope that the issue will be resolved. for as shifting goes, it shifts up to second but seems to get "locked" and doesnt want to go anymore.. i found the hydraulic fluid in a terrible state. gray goo is best i could describe it as. i replaced the entire clutch master assembly and line and even the slave cylinder. no luck.... im thinking the problem lays within the gearshift linkage, wanted to get some advice before tearing it apart. any clue to what the problem may be? also any tips or advice that even remotely relates to motorcycling is appreciated, looking to learn as much as possible!

2. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    Have you changed to oil yet?

3. Truman

Truman New Member

United States
    yes, all braking, cooling or hydraulic fluids and any old plastics or rubbers were the first thing to be replaced.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Try getting the rear wheel up and spinning it over while you try to shift up and down.

shifting is easiest when engine and rear wheel are both turning.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019