94 VFR750FR followed me home today

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by thx1138, Jun 16, 2014.

1. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    I finally found a nice red 94 model and now have it parked in the shed. Only 27,000km and in good overall condition.
    Needs new tyres and a fork seal replacing but that is no problem for me as every 4th gen I've looked at needed tyres. Will give me a chance to try out the Pilot Road 4's.
    Will post some pictures as soon as wife calms down.

2. tiki01

tiki01 New Member

United States
    Map
    LOL nice & congrats. Any particular reason you went with the 4th gen other than it being the best one? :congratulatory:

3. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    congrats on the find! Have Pilot road 4's on my 07. decent tires so far and wear seems on par with Pilot power 2CT's.

Over the years, the number of bikes that followed me home has left my missus in a state of acceptance. She now just gives me a dirty look and helps me unload the bikes off my truck.

Moral of the story: Keep bringing home strays and it will all work out. (disclaimer: proceed at own risk)

4. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    When I rode it home it handled like a 3 legged pig, really hard to get to turn in and very heavy steering. I thought I had made a terrible mistake buying it. When I checked the tyre pressures at home - front 16 rear 22. May have had some impact on the handling I think.

The clutch was also really bad - pull lever in and went into gear nicely but was fully engaged by the time the lever was 10mm from handle bar.

Is the clutch fluid in 4th gens meant to be a brown sludgy liquid?

5. thegreatnobody

thegreatnobody New Member

Map
    Get the tires to 36/42 f/r straight way and change that ckutch fluid asap. The fluid is just dot 4 brake fluid which should be clear. Very easy to drain bleed, takes about 5 mins and you don't need any special tools. Vfrd.com has a 4th gen service manual that will walk you through the steps.

Sent from my fancy telly.

6. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    As thegreatnobody stated, should be clear and DOT 3/4 brake fluid. It's been my experience that by the time the fluid becomes brown sludge, it's gels and collects in the master cylinder and clutch slave. May explain the clutch action. Might invest in a few K&L rebuild kits and clean them out. the rebuild is really straight forward if you have a moderate amount of mechanical skill.

7. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    I will strip the m/c and slave but as I have promised not to do any work on this bike I had to content myself with cleaning out the m/c and flushing to cleanish fluid at the slave. Clutch now works as it should. Rebuild kit for M/C is same as the 1000R so I have one in stock if I need it.

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    My master cylinders were ok with just a general clean up with a paper towel and some cotton swabs. The calipers on front/back though were a different story, totally sludged up, and required a thorough cleaning with seal removal and cleaning oot the grooves, it was groovy and now I got titz brakes. :hippie:

My other bike a high mileage unit, I rebuilt the masters as when you took the brake/clutch levers off, you could see that white calcitrated old nasty looking DOT4 fluid. Anyway, Cheers, and happy wrenching/riding :thumbsup:

9. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Took a photo today between rain storms.

The laser exhaust is going to be replaced by an original muffler which looks to have been taken off a brand new bike 20 years ago.

[​IMG]

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Sweet lookin ride there. Why take off the lazer...looks awesome....prob to loud?...enjoy

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

11. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    Oh, how cruel! thats the best part of getting a new bike.

anyway, sweet looking 4th gen. are the decals on the lowers OEM?

12. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    I think the decals are original - the bike looks never to have been down the road and all the Aussie ones ive seen have those same decals.

13. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    yeah it didn't look like your bike was ever down, the decal just look nicer than the US spec. I was hoping find a set like yours aftermarket but I guess not. BTW, you've pushed me a little further to go look at a 97 I've been eyeballing for a bit. I'll see if I can get it to follow me home. Let me practice, " honey, can you help me unload this...."

14. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    The bike was only a couple of kilometres from home and the body work is in amazing condition. It has been pissing with rain here since I bought it so I haven't ridden it more than the distance home. I want decent tyres before I ride it in the wet.
    They do have a lot of the NR look about them and this is a big bonus for me.
    Laser is too loud and I prefer the factory look - I might get motivated and sell the laser but it will probably end up being stored just in case.

15. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Had a look at the bike today and found an empty coolant overflow bottle with the radiator down by about 40mm.
    Cleaned out bottle and refilled the rad and bottle with Honda coolant.
    Air cleaner looks pretty new and pulled one spark plug to check - will have to order a set as they look fairly old. Will probably put NGK iridium's in.
    Also put the new stock muffler on - much more mellow sound.

16. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    After a pleasant 15km ride last night I took the bike for a quick ride to the shops (about 4km away) and suddenly I had no electrics, nothing, engine spooled down and I coasted to a stop.
    Fortunately I was next to a mechanical workshop and borrowed a few tools to investigate.
    I found the 30A main fuse blown and as soon as I replaced it all of the magic smoke from the regulator rectifier escaped, and the bike was dead again.
    Obviously the magic smoke escaping the R/R is common on these. Are the updated Honda ones OK (31600-MY7-305)?
    The face of the R/R had no fins on it, was a sort of rubber compound, and was partly melted.

17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm

I did this after a week of new ownership, it was not charging right from the "get-go." If I would have ignored this, I would have ended up like your scenario. Was there btw, easiest break down I ever had.

Whats Mick Do-inn?

18. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    A belated welcome from South Africa. Sorry about your R/R but sadly a pretty common problem. I think you can use virtually any R/R, the Mosfet ones seem the way to go. By the way, my VFR had exactly the same decals, maybe it's the right hand drive models that came out like that :biggrin-new:

19. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    New Jap made reg/rect on the way from David Silvers. Will check rest of charging circuit when it arrives.
    I have not found any melted/cooked connectors anywhere.

20. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    While test riding after the RR replacement I noticed (specially on the freeway at around 100kph) that the engine sounds almost like it is missing slightly.
    Is this the famous VFR firing order?