95 vfr750f exaust

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by mr_whitehair, Oct 5, 2014.

1. mr_whitehair

mr_whitehair New Member

Hey guys, im new to all this, but im starting to do some work on my bike and i was thinking about maybe getting a new muffler or maybe a full exhaust depending on the price, i was just wondering what you guys have done, or if you could give me any tips for working on my bike that may help. does anybody else have the 95 bike? what are some common problems? stuff like that. Thank you.

2. Porl

Porl New Member

Map
    Hello and welcome.
    I have a '95, and have had a '94 (identical) and a '90.
    These are generally very reliable bikes, and tend to go almost forever.
    Things to look out for are:

Electrical. Simply put Reg/rectifiers and stator. Apparently caused to fail by crappy connectors in the loom as well as questionable design ( I think, others will correct me I'm sure). Easily fixed and prevented though. Some have had problems with corrosion of the circuitry in the instrument panel.

Mechanical: Not a lot unless you count the rear shock. They go off pretty quickly. Either rebuild or replace. Jamie Daugherty is the best source of info and options.

Cosmetic: Plastics are getting hard to replace and have a tendency to be brittle due to age. The tail section likes to crack in various places due to poor design. They started cracking way back when these bikes still had factory warranty. Search the site for various solutions to the problem.

Generally speaking, get a copy of the maintenance manual, replace all the fluids, go over everything else thoroughly and clean/lube/adjust/repair anything you can, replace what you can't.

I can't say too much on the muffler/exhaust topic other than that anything will sound better than the standard muffler. I'm currently using a Staintune high mount with the baffle out. I think it's a bit loud that way, but don't have the baffle to try. There are still some options available new, and more used.

Paul.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  3. Innocent Fool

Innocent Fool New Member

Canada
    I've got a 90 and a 97. Only problems I've had with the 90 was the electrical system. Thought it was the rectifier but turns out it was partly melted electrical connectors to the stator and a bad main ground. Had to replace the main ground wire in the harness with a thicker gauge as the original is too small which caused it to heat up and melt.

The rear plastic side panels on the 97 had allot of cracking. If yours are OK I would suggest taking them off and laying down a layer or two of fiberglass on the backside to reinforce them

Other than that they are great bikes

4. dougdowney

dougdowney New Member

plastics crack like crazy, rectifier and stators oem are junk. other then that they are awesome. i would suggest tearing all the plastics off and fixing any sort of leak you can see. possibly replacing break lines if you have spongy brakes. inspect your chain really well. and keep the thing lubed up all the time. you really have to watch your chain tension because its a pretty torque driven bike so the chains stretch and or get loose fairly quick.

i have a 1994 vfr 750. got it for 500$ 60,xxx miles. the bike didnt run when i got it. i changed the rectifier and stator and it ran fine. and still runs great. personal issues with mine are fuel gauge not working. cracked plastics. neutral switch doesnt work. other then that the bike is awesome. ive had it for a season and its near 70.xxx miles now and still has tons of power.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1998-H...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2a27cbc4&vxp=mtr

thats the link to the pipe i run on mine. and it sounds amazing and doesnt cost quite as much as its competitors

i also HIGHLY reccomend you install a volt meter on the bike. this will let you know when your charging system is going to take a shit on you because itll be running very high or very low. when its dropping in volts your bike will eventually shut off because the battery is drained. if it runs crazy high then youre going to start burning stuff ill post a picture of how i have my meter set up

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    get the official honda service manual for your year bike, make sure battery is charged, if not put it on a small float style charger, honda sells one thats made by optima that is excellent. What else? tyres? good oil?

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Too bad op didn't state the bike's mileage as that's highly relevant to maintenance questions.

7. justinflatt222

justinflatt222 New Member

Is it a bad idea to run with out the muffler?

jflatt22

8. dougdowney

dougdowney New Member

If it's carbureted it can mess up your back pressure and you'll get worse gas mileage. They recommend rejetting your carb when you modify the exhaust at all

9. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    Well, if the exhaust uses a collector box the jetting would be OK with a different muffler. The back pressure is created by the collector. My '90 has a collector, but I suspect the '94-'97 may be just primary pipes to the muffler.

Justin, you meant for testing or something, right, not riding full time with no muffler? If you want to ride like that at least put on a shorty muffler.

Cheers,
    Glenn

10. rustitution

rustitution New Member

United States
    Map
    I will be having a Two Brothers Racing can for sale I think if you are still looking