97 misfire

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Patrick carolan, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Patrick carolan

Patrick carolan New Member

Ireland
    Hi guys. My 97 has a misfire. On idle it just pops every few seconds . Bike does seem a little low on power and misfire is most noticable on a closed throttle. I have replaced all the spark plugs but it made no difference. Im wondering is this a common problem? , hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction and save me a few hours of messing around not knowing what im doing! Any help much appreciated

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Not common.

Give us some background.

New bike to you?
    Any recent changes or mods?
    Mileage?
    Does it get stored thru the winter?

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Well, I had a misfire on my gen3 91. I hooked up my carburetor tuner tool and determined what cylinder it was. I switched spark plugs and low and behold, the misfire migrated to the other cylinder (I switched spark plugs) turns out it was a bad spark plug. They had low mileage (couple of thousand) but they were over ten years old!

I have a similar problem with my kia Soul 1.6 - I have a misfire with an error code on the dashboard, I have a scan tool which you need. I changed spark plugs recently, anyway I swapped out the coils from one to another cylinder and cleared the error codes, now its a waiting game to see it with my own eyes, (you can be a random shot gun parts changer, but if you don't do it scientifically your gona F-yourself.) So, I wait, see if I can repeat the trouble code and see if it moves, then I have concrete evidence and can go from there. Just my two cents. Peace