98 VFR: Riding impressions, ownership

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by JACBR1KRR, Jan 31, 2021.

1. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    We all have different riding backgrounds, ridden different bikes with different characters that have shaped our riding style and preferences. What was your 1st riding impressions as you got to know your bike. i have owned several bikes before this one.

1st day: Riding home from seller house. Was interesting to hear the Gear driven cams, and the tone of the exhaust, bike was super comfortable, very vertical seating position ( from my stolen 15 CBR1000RR, and my other 08 SV650SF ), tire pressure was a little low, bike felt extremely heavy to ride and to make it turn. I felt the soft chassis, was surprised with how well the forks were damped for the bike and rider (160 lb rider). Brakes, felt good and weird at the same time (1st time w linked braking system), hydralic clutch, it took me a while to learn it and its feel> (1st time w Hydraulic clutch)

1st time leaning over: I was immediately surprised and impress how well this bike tracked thru the corners. Very stable! Tracked very well thru the curves. Very linear power.

1-2 month: Very impress with the ergonomics, power delivery, ok fuel mileage... I guess i was expecting better MPGs , fuel range. WEIGHT, LOL this is my 1st bike with over 500lbs+ wet weight.

3-6months: during summer months, began noticing extra heat, radiating from engine. I wouldn't say extreme heat. but definetly more heat then any other bike i have owned. By this time, i began hating the side stand and the bikes weight. Depending where i parked in the summer. the sidestand would begin to dig in to the asphalt. depending on the day. side stand would begin to sink into the asphalt. 3/4-1 inch! That's A LOT! During that period, i took the bike to get my suspension professionally dialed for my body weight and for track riding. the bike felt lower and longer as i rode away from shop. Bike handled well before BUT it was even BETTER afterwards ( only downside, i can't carry passenger) . BEST $60 one can spend on a bike. FYI i get my suspension tuned on every single bike i owned.

Track: Road America, I did enjoy myself. But.... i had concerns... i had taken my previous CBR's and my SV to the track. I was concern with the bike weight on track. Also, i had not riden it in 7 months (Covid era). i was also concerned with the weight As i had close calls of dropping bike at lights and garage because of the weight and the way side stand engages or not engages. On track, handling wise, i have no complaints, bike handles really well, tracked well. I had trouble with brakes. Calipers not opening, slow to openings, rapid grab of pads, no feel. braking points and lines were all messed up, by the time brakes would open, my turning point was behind me....lol. it was not fun. Downshifting, and rear chatter, i wasn't too bad blipping throttle but bike was fine on downshifts . I did have one time were rear was skidding on the brakes,. Plus towards the end of the day my blipping of the trottle began to get sloppy and tired. also, trying to manage the trouble with the brakes made the the blipping worse. Top end, oviously i am used to more, but its good for this bike. I can't recall MPH down the mainstraght but bike had a 2nd wind kick and would pull and pull. before having to go on the brakes. Would i takes this bike to the track again? i honestly don't know. Maybe once more. IDK tough question. i feel i would brake it. Overall: It did well on the track, if brakes worked properly. I am sure i would have enjoyed myself more.

Up to now: i like the air temp gauge. i commute in cold weather, so its nice to know outside temps, temps drops. comfy commute, big screen and front fairings to protect from the weather. LOVE the bike sound from the cams and exhaust note, bike can be fun if you push it. Very smooth power, very balance thru the corners, Linked brakes do provide stable f/r brake balance. BUT NOT my cup of tea. i like to independtly operate brakes. Makes for more interesting riding. Very smooth power delivery *** just enough power for street ***, But at times, i get frustrated. Because it's not for me. I want hard violent, aggressive power and i need/want to feel the rear brake loose on hard drives out of corners. Have rear end slides. i know this bikes chassis is soft for comfort for long distance travel. It took me a while to get used to it. Specially when trying to push the bike thru corners or pushing the bike in general. when in motion, yes the bikes hides its weight well but at times you feel it and at times i don't like it's weight.

things i dislike; Side stand, and bikes weight. on multiple occasions, i engage the side stand on was beggining to walk away from bike when bike fell and it hit me. Side stand didn't fully engage. It didn't hit floor because i was there. it was heavy to pick up from me. also, on 1 occasion on traffic light, my right foot stepped on light sand and it slid bringing the bike over too!. i barely catched the bike but it was hard to pick it up. its a heavy bike. I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with this bike. There's days when i like it, love it, it does alot of things really well for its age and type. and theres days when i don't like it. Weight, size, brakes, lack of power. Side stand, i wish sidestand would CLICK when fully engages or felt more.. when it engages. To porevent those times when sidestand is not fully engaged.

i wish this bike was 100-120lb lighter and with 50-70 hp more. or Just more HP for its weight. With that HP and its just enough for what this is bike is intended to do. and keep it plantee and stable on the brakes, on the gas, thru the turns. GREAT BIKE overall...

Just, I don't like its weight, power and side stand. at times while working on it. can be a PITA too. But i like it enough to not want to sell it. Because it really its a GREAT BIKE OVERALL. Looks modern, even tho its a 23 year old bike. LOL when i tell people the bike year. They can't believe it. They say it looks good and modern. IT REALLY DOES ALOT of things well, I am more on the SPORT side of this bike. I know its a Sport Touring bike. I know i bought it purposely for long commuting.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  2. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    20201203_173058.jpg 20200601_090933.jpg

Attached Files:

dhinson66 and Viffer J like this.
  3. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    When you park it on the side stand, to prevent it from rolling forward and falling over PUT IT IN GEAR!!!
    Do not leave it in neutral.

Also on hot days I carry a thin peice of plastic about a 1/4 inch thick 3 inch square to place under the side stand to prevent it from sinking into the soft ashpalt.

4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Lots of guys strip the OEM brakes and forks for an upgrade.. It's a different bike with that....
    (I'm guilty)

5. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    So, is it common thing for you guys too? Bike falling over , or close to falling over because of the sidestand? Or just me.

I'm almost 40 been riding since my early 20s. Owned many bikes. But this is my 1st bike were this has happened quite A FEW times. The time were it almost took me out. I had a car in the garage. If I want there, it could have landed or dented the car big time with its weight.

is there another Honda sidestand that can be a direct swap, that can handle weight. I know leaving it in gear is the easiest way. But I would like something that clicks or feel the endangerment.

I will do the same with the plastic material.

6. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    Mello dude

I just saw your pictures. Good looking bike! Was there a big difference in power with the performance upgrades? Or just marginal.

I got this bike strictly for commuting. But the sport side of me looked into this suspension upgrade route.

But I was just coming from a bike being stolen. And the expense that came w it + other things. So I decided to keep it the way it is.

Stock, for my 160lb weight is not bad for commuting. At the track suspension was fine. Again, I couldn't really push due to the brake issues. Idk.... I'm planning for now, to keep bike for long time..... Pile miles in it.... Not sure, if I would take it to the track again.

BUT, how do you like your suspension? F/R did you do both at the same time or 1 then other. How was it at each stage. Then brakes.

Idk, when the time comes to do front brake seals. Idk, if I would upgrade suspension or just replace fluid and replacement parts.

How much did you pay for rear shock? New? Used? What was your overall cost Front suspension.

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Um, it's just you...sry dude......(mbe your side stand is missing a spring or????)
    Typically on the side stand, I click it down, double check it it locked, then put the weight of the bike on it, then put my foot on the end of the stand on the ground. I am anal, so it's my way the bike is secure. Also, I carry a eighth inch piece of plywood cut as a 4 inch square to put on any asphalt or soft surface....

Suspension upgrades are the number one thing you can do to transform the feel of the bike..
    Jamie Daughtery is VFR suspension guru for that......DMr Motorsports
    I find the stock suspension terrible and too soft, and pushes in the corners, steers like a truck.
    - I did all my work in one shot....the front and rear need to be worked on together as a system.

Brakes were a big deal for me, I hate link brakes, so I guess you've seen my work on that.

My minor tweaks with the PC really didn't do all that much......but if you wanted to get a bit of power boost, there may be performance headers still
    available over on the VFRD forum group. I think this is the last run of them.... and you will need at least a PCIII for fueling. And some rectangular green stuff.

Another thing with 5th gens is the R/R's tend to die, you might do a charging system check.... search for "the drill" ...it's a check procedure....

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    dhinson66 likes this.
  8. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    suspension for sure

I nearly dropped a honda shadow that rolled off the kickstand at Garden of the Gods. That's when I learned to leave it in gear.

9. Jelorian

Jelorian New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats on your 5th gen. I have a 2001. Not sure why you are having issues with your side stand. Like mello_dude said, maybe something is missing and it is not going to full lock? Was the bike lowered perhaps? I know it can come down and go to full lock but are you not making sure it goes all the way down?

As far as your comments with the bike on track, it will never get to where it was even close to your CBR. I know you said you wish it would lose 100-120lbs AND add 50-70HP, but not sure that bike exists and still have the ergoes that the VFR has. The closest bike I can think of that might be anywhere near those numbers and be comfortable to ride would be a current or late model Aprilia Tuono. Power delivery is so different with a V4 and like you already mentioned it does not have that big kick in the ass that a big inline 4 has. Also like you know and mentioned the bike is HEAVY.

With regards to your brakes, when was the last time they were serviced. I would definitely have the brakes bled, calipers rebuilt, and check the all the master and slave cylinders. Could not hurt to get new pads and if needed rotors as well.

She will do everything you ask of it. Arguably the best all around out there for its era. You said you got it for commuting and for that it will do it well.

Good luck!

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    ^^^^^^ Good point...mbe the bike is lowered? That would do it....

11. weevee

weevee New Member

United Kingdom
    I've never had an issue with sidestand engagement, either; the one on my 5th gen holds firmly. The foot itself would be less likely to sink into soft ground if you added one of these bolt-on 'pucks'. This one's Russian, but cheap Chinese ones can be bought too. I fitted one to my Magni for a (camping) trip to the TT in 2019 and it dd the trick.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Side-sta...068676?hash=item34213ee244:g:a~gAAOSwkARePBVo

12. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I also came from a Blade, then a Cbr600rr7. The linked brakes are by a long way the thing that annoy me a lot - lol, especially as I like to hit them hard. The brakes on my 600rr were amazing - radial 2 x 4 piston callipers & radial master, 310mm discs.. on something that weighs nothing. I could stoppie at 70mph in the wet with zero problems - used to commute on it.. lol

The vfr has 298mm brakes with 2 x 3 piston callipers - but with the linked brakes its even worse - you only get 2 UNLESS you use the rear brake at the same time. And it weighs a ton. lol.

My suspension has been done but would love a lot more power on the brakes - 310 / 320 discs ?

13. Roccoaster

Roccoaster New Member

France
    Map
    Bought my '99 model new as my first big bike. Still got it and still love it. First time winding it up put a massive smile on my face but I think I'd gotten that from any bike with 100 or more ponies.

Had a dozen or so "other" bikes since but always kept the trusty VFR. After 21 years I still enjoy riding it and I always hark back to the old cliché of "it's such a great all-rounder". I don't know if I'll ever sell it, it's weird that it's not worth any money but yet it's still a superb old bike.

14. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I suspect you will find that its also not loosing any money either...

15. Roccoaster

Roccoaster New Member

France
    Map
    Correct, it's been worth very little for the past 15 years and doesn't depreciate at all!

16. vikingGoalie

vikingGoalie New Member

United States
    I love my 5th gen. Is it heavy compared to the newer bikes? yup. but my first bike that i learned on was a yamaha 850 special, that bike was a little short of 600lbs if I remember right. so I guess this is light in comparison lol.

Really for me, I don't need more HP/weight ratio, i can get up into triple digits right quick.
    As far as a track this guy on his VFR is something to watch:
    I wish i could ride that smooth..

Really my only complaints are that the wind noise is more then I expected for a sport touring bike, but I can deal with that.
    That and because of the weight i find that the bike can get into trouble a lot faster then it can get out of it. Though I'm probably going braided steel lines to see if that helps.

but that cam whine with a 2 bro exhaust, nothing i've ever ridden sounds as good.