99 Honda VFR Stuck Throttle

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by stuckthrottle, Jan 18, 2003.

1. stuckthrottle

stuckthrottle New Member

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced, or know someone who has experienced a problem with a stuck throttle on any VFR Interceptors. My throttle stuck, in the middle of city traffic, almost costing me my life, and costing me a lot of money. I have contacted Honda on this situation, and even gone so far as to hire a lawyer. I know I cannot be the only one this has happened to. I loved my bike, but I am extremely angry with Honda that they simply do not seem to care that this has happened. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA PRODUCT AGAIN!!!!!!!! Does anyone have any information they might be able to share with me??????

Also, now I have a 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor with about 7K miles on it sitting in my garage. The bike is repairable and all major components (frame, forks, wheels, sproket, engine, etc...) are still in good shape. The bike also has a clear title. Does anyone know of someone looking for an Interceptor to rebuild, or to purchase for parts???? If so, then drop me an email and I can send pictures. I need to get rid of this bike in order to pay some debts off.

Thanks for listening,

stuckthrottle

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I am not aware of any problems with throttle sticking problems on VFR's. So, I will assume yours was a remote case, but lets see if anyone else comments. Of course no fun for you and your wild ride, I understand.
    But I would suggest you take the money spend with a lawyer and apply it to your debt. Honda has a much bigger checkbook than you, and you would most likely never win. You will have to prove that maintance on your bike and in particular the throttle had been done per the owners manual or service manual other than just saying, "yes I did that". So, if you do not get any response from here you will know Honda has a good case showing no problems in the field and yours is a one of. Plus the fact that the throttle system on the VFR is a push/pull one that is very realible. It all comes down to the owner's responsibilty to maintan his motorcycle. It would be a tough case to win. So, as for not buying another Honda, let me suggest you don't by any motorcycle at all, this is something that could have happened with any other manufacture's bike. Unfortunately there are some risk when riding motorcyles, and we can't expect the bike companys to assume them all.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Actually, I just came across two other people who have had the same problem on the VFR Internet Mailing list. I will give you the URL to check out what this guy said.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~lists/archive/vfr/200107/msg01911.html

He tells of the same exact problem I had. I am trying to track the guy down to see if he has experienced the problem again because this happened to him over a year ago. Also, if you run a search on stuck throttle/fuel injection, there is a story of another guy who had a similiar problem as both of us. Obviously, I'm not the only one and Honda does need to address this situation. Even though there are only a few reported cases of this, I think that as the bike gets older, there is more of a chance of this happening. I also think that the problem is occuring on 98-00 bikes, and that this problem is linked with the fuel injection system, not the throttle itself. I encourage anyone with this bike to check out what this guy wrote, because it is the same exact story that Honda tape-recorded from me. It's really quite scarry and needs to be addressed!!! As I said before, I loved my bike, and I am a damn good rider with experience riding several different types of bikes and I have never came across a problem like this. Please do not tell me to never own a motorcycle because I plan on purchasing another bike this spring. It is something I love and have a passion for. I just know that I will not buy another Honda based on the way they have handled this serious situation.

Sincerely,

stuckthrottle.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: 99 Honda VFR Stuck Throttle (One more thing)

Oh yeah, one more thing, the bike only had 7K miles on it and it had an extended warranty. I purchased the bike from a man who took maticulous care of it. I had the bike for about 1 month when this happened. This had absolutely nothing to do with maintenance. Both he and I kept the bike in perfect running order. The bike was absolutely cherry before this happened. Again, Im only posting this information to inform people that there is a small, but potentially lethal problem with probably a very small percentage of these bikes. Please do not think I am writing this to make Honda look bad. Honda is a very great company that does many great things and I have the utmost respect for them. However, I am simply trying to get through to Honda that even though the VFR is probably one of the best all around bikes in the world, it may have a serious problem that needs to be looked into.

Sincerely,

stuckthrottle.

5. Jake

Jake New Member

Two or three stuck throttles out of thousands and thousands of motorcycles sold does not (in my estimation) a 'serious problem' make.  My guess is that you'd be hard pressed to find ANY vehicle or motorcycle model that has never had a stuck throttle.

If your lawyer is good, you may get a little money, but it seems to me that even proving that it was a stuck throttle that actually caused your accident would be nigh unto impossible.

I'm sorry that this bad thing happened to you, but screaming that you'll never purchase another Honda product again makes you seem reactionary and alarmist.

Jake

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ok, I guess when it happens to other people then it is ok then??? What is that??? After looking into things further, it is most likely not a problem with the throttle, it is the fuel injection. In all cases, after inspecting the throttle, the throttle was working properly. It appears to be a problem in the mapping or computer system with the fuel injection, especially at high temperatures. Once again, Honda is a great company, but I don't care what anyone says, this needs to be addressed!!! I guess only 3 people that might die out of 1,000 is ok right??? Come on!!! If it happened to you, trust me, you would think much differently!!

7. Jake

Jake New Member

Take it easy dude, I'm not belittling your problem just considering it dispassionately (as you should and as Honda's team of lawyers surely will).

I find it extremely unlikely that a problem with just the fuel injector mapping system could cause the problem you describe for the following reason... An engine needs three things to run:

1. Fuel - metered by the injectors/computer.

2. Spark - metered by the ingition system/computer.

3. Air - Metered by butterfly valves in the throttle bodies that are physically connected to the throttle which is physically controlled by your right wrist.

The engine cannot rev fully without the air needed for combustion. Any excess-fuel-delivery problem aside from one which also allows more air into the throtttle bodies would simply cause the engine to flood, sputter, and die.

I'm not saying your throttle-stuck condition didn't happen the way you say it did, I'm just saying that, when it did, it HAD to involve those butterfly valves being stuck in an open position. There are two obvious ways in which this could've happened:

1. Some sort of 'hang up' caused the entire system to become stuck in the open position--anything short of a stick down the intake or some other foreign body becoming lodged somewhere in the linkage shoud still have allowed you to return the butterflys to their closed position by cranking the throttle grip back.

2. Multiple failures in the throttle control linkage caused it to fail. Concievably, a broken return spring(s?) combined with a broken throttle-closing cable could've caused this. However, it seems unlikely.

If you still have access to the bike those are the things you need to check: Broken cable and spring or something lodged in the throttlebody/linkage.

Any intermittent problem should have been correctable by cranking the throttle home.

HTH,
    Jake

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Sorry about that Jake. It's just that when you tell people what happened to you, and they second-guess you, it starts to become frustrating. I appreciate your advice. The thing is, Honda did come to my house and inspected my bike twice. Two seperate engineers came to my house and found only minor flaws in the actual throttle linkage. Even after my accident, the police and I throughly inspected the throttle and found that the throttle was jammed open. I later learned that this was open because my hand grip was destoyed in the accident, causing my throttle to be left wide open with only a slow return. In the case of another guy, he also checked out his throttle system after his problem occured and also found nothing wrong. Did you happen to read the link I posted to that? That is why I have come to the conclusion that it must be something in the fuel injection. I'm no mechanic or engineer, but I do know that the damn thing went ballistic on me for no apparent reason. No foreiqn object got lodged up in the throttle. I know this hasn't happened very often, but I believe it has happened enough to cause concern. That is the reason I think something needs to be done about it. I would hate to see someone die from this like I almost did. Riding the pavement for over 200 ft and then sliding into a car is definately no fun at all :-/ Again, I appreciate the feedback and I hope someone can give me an explanation as to why this happened someday.

Josh.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Sorry about your mishap; would like to know where the bike is located and extent of damages.

Thanks.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Bike is located in Southern Wisconsin. Here are the damages that I have been able to notice: Basically needs all new plastics. Speedometer/odometer are ruined and need replacement. New handlebars, along with all components attached to handlebars will need replacement. Left side radiator needs replacement. Fork appears to be ok to my knowledge. Frame seems to be ok, but should be checked out. Engine is perfect. Wheels are perfect. Tank needs replacement. Brakes seem to be intact. I'm sure there are other small things that need replacement, but that gives you an idea of the main damages.

Josh.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I can only add what I've read about the auto industry and faulty products. An accounting decision is generally made weather it will be more cost effective to fix a problem or settle/litigate X number of law suits. The ethics aspect of killing customers doesn't come into it.
    Is there a special hell for auto execs?
    Again It's just what I've read but the media coverage of things like Explorer flats and rollovers and Pinto gas tanks seem to bear this out. Our U.S. legal system makes it very easy to sue and I've been through a couple of them, unfortunately. I'd search for an attorney with good references and see what he thinks.
    I'm sure you've done that by now, though.