'99 vs. '00 VFR  which to buy?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by cidgrad130, May 7, 2004.

1. cidgrad130

cidgrad130 New Member

United States
    Hey all...new to the board, but I'm ready to get my first VFR...and have narrowed the search down to two bikes. Both bikes are in great shape...the only difference is the color (yellow '00 vs the red '99) and the '00 is FI (carb on the '99).

My question is: is there any sound advice why one would have an advantage over the other.

I had thought that all 98-01 VFRs were FI, but I rode a 99 today that had a carb. The only things I can think would be different would be the cold weather starting and high altitude riding...anyone have an input? Also, in buying a used VFR are there any specific model glitches that I should look for or consider before I throw down my cash? Thanks for any replies-

Cheers
    Cidgrad130 ;)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: '99 vs. '00 VFR  which to buy?

All 98-01 vfrs have fuel injection if the 99 truly has carbs get the 00. If you think it has carbs because of the choke it doesn't. That's not a choke it's basically just fast idle switch because 98 and 99s don't have an automatic one, 00 and 01s do. The only other real differences are o2 sensors and the cool VFR logo on the tach of the 00/01s. I have a 98 and look at a 00 I bought the 98 because it had lower miles and was cheaper very well taken care of. There may be a slight power difference because of the o2 sensors but not much. All else the same it boils down to do you like red or yello? ;D

3. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

The only other difference between the two is the mirrors. The 00 has more streamlined mirrors. Everything else is pretty much transparent to the end user. The autochock is great. With my 00, I ride year round in NJ. It can be 20 degrees and the bike starts right up and I can drop in gear and go immediately. I liked the yellow better than the red which is the main reason I bought mine, but that is strictly a subjective opinion. If both are equally maintained and the price for both is reasonable, I would go with the 00.

8) RIDE WELL 8)
    HWORTH

4. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I forgot to put in my previous post: Several have reported eletrical problems with VFR's of different years. A friend of mine had the voltage reg fry out in spectacular fashion on his 02. Picture smoke and sparks. It was all fixed under waranty, but this is not a normal thing. Apparently the 02's and up are more likely to have the electrical problems, but the dealer I go to says that most of the 98's on up are prone to elctrical problems as well.

I have been lucky, I've never had an electrical problem. I've had exactly one maintenance issue with bike: My throttle cable worked loose. I had about half power available as I took the bike to the dealer to have it fixed. Aside from that single issue, I have nothing else to report. My bike has been reliable as the sun rise. I knew I liked Honda's for a reason.

8) RIDE WELL 8)
    HWORTH

5. cidgrad130

cidgrad130 New Member

United States

I appreciate all the inputs...wasn't aware of the fast idle switch (I was incorrectly assuming it was a choke!) I guess either bike would be good...

How about an online pricing guide...is NADA the only source for this?

One last thing is the tires on these two bikes...both have "new" tires as claimed by the owners. One bike has D205s and the other has D220s...anyone have experience with both that can give a feedback on which is a better all-around performer. It has been about 9 years since I have owned a bike, and I don't have experience with either tire. With my last bike, the tires made a huge difference in my overall satisfaction level with the bike..thanks!

cheers- ;)
    Cidgrad130

6. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I have the OEM tire on mine, D204's. I hate them. I think, but I'm not sure, that the 205 is the replacement for the now discontinued 204. I'm putting Metzeler Sportec M1's on my bike as soon as possible. Probably about one week from now. My 89 Hawk GT has Michelin's on it and they are a decent tire. I also plan on the M1's for the Hawk as well. I frequent this site as well as on called HAWKGT.COM and everyone seems to recommends the M1 as the tire of choice for any street-riden sportbike.
    Hope this helps.

8) RIDE WELL 8)
    HWORTH