a bit nervous

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by scottbott, Aug 1, 2017.

1. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I bought my bike sight unseen from MCN classifieds and it was as advertised (thankfully),the seller delivered it to me the evening of the day we moved into our present house last September so things were a bit busy to say the least, due to working on the house and life in general getting in the way I have only done 122 miles on it,last Sunday I took it to Cadwell Park to watch my father in law race his formula vee,it is only about 45 miles away but through lots of villages and varying speed limits,as I left the house I said to my wife that I felt nervous (have not ridden or had a bike since the mid 90's) and she said don't go then but off I went and within 20 minutes I was loving it,still a bit iffy with road positioning in a few places but the return trip was a lot better and faster!,I opened it up in top gear from 60 up to 90 and thought bugger me this is quick as I drive a VW T25 camper,Vanagon to our US friends so pretty much anything will feel quick,I think the ride has made me feel a lot more confident on the bike and will be using it a bit more often as long as the shitty summer we are having behaves itself,roll on the dry roads!!

GatorGreg likes this.
  2. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    Glad to be back in the saddle again? You never forget how to ride just get a little rusty over time. What did you get for a bike?

3. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    1997 FV,20,000 miles immaculate bike, last bike I had was a Ducati 851 biposto,was a bit harsh on the arse the furthest I rode that was Le Mans,the Viffer was lovely and comfortable just a bit of discomfort around the base of the thumb on my right hand,I think that was me not relaxing enough

4. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Awesome that you had the ride! Keep on and hope weather is kind so you can.

If you can hop on a few times a week if only for a short ride to the grocer or something, you'll be riding like Rossi in no time! ;)

5. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    That's great that you so quickly overcame your nervousness. However, I think being a bit nervous when you ride can actually be a good thing cuz it helps to get the juices flowing and all of your senses at full attention. This quote is from a Pyschology Today article discussing the fear of public speaking, but I think it's somewhat applicable to riding a motorcycle:

3. Avoid Being Nervous About Your Nervousness
    Singer-songwriter Bruce Springsteen, legendary for his live concert performances, once observed that if he felt completely relaxed before a show, he wouldn’t perform as well as if he had felt nervous. Springsteen knows how to channel his nervousness into excitement and power on stage. Speakers who lack confidence often feel nervous, and then on top of that feel anxious about the fact that they’re nervous, which compounds the anxiety. That’s a lot of stress to bear. Nervousness is our adrenaline flowing, that’s all. It’s a form of energy. Successful speakers know how to make this energy work for them, and turn nervousness into enthusiasm, engagement, and charisma. They have fun with it (see confidence tips #8 and #10 below). It’s okay to be nervous. Make the energy work for you.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...5/5-tips-reducing-public-speaking-nervousness

However, being so nervous that you ride scared is what can lead to problems. Here's a funny vid by CycleCruza on the subject - according to him you should always ride with the mindset of a street soldier :D

6. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    This thread reminded me of the classic "Get Nervous" album/tune by Pat Benatar - enjoy :D

7. Comberjohn

Comberjohn New Member

United Kingdom
    By your own admission, you've been off the road for about 20 years.
    Maybe it would be worth thinking about taking a couple of lessons?
    Might help you get that bit of confidence with road positioning, etc.
    Sounds like the wife could be a bit more reassured, as well.
    I'm a driving instructor and I regularly get people who haven't driven for a few years who want to do a couple of refresher lessons. And that's usually all it takes. I have real respect for these people who can admit that they could be better.
    Remember that as you get older, you don't bounce down the road as well as you did all those years ago.

duccmann likes this.
  8. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    my next door neighbour is a member of the advanced motorcyclists thingy and he has offered to take me out and has said to me that he will not go quick so I will be able to keep up with him so will probably take him up on his offer just got to find the right time for both of us, just do not want to look like a dick in front of him!

Bubba Utah likes this.
  9. Comberjohn

Comberjohn New Member

United Kingdom
    Sounds like a plan!
    It won't take very much to sharpen your skills. If he can give you a few pointers on things you need to work on, it'll make a big difference to your confidence. Plus, the wife will be impressed with your (new found) common sense. ;-)
    Even a minor off on a bike can have a really bad result.

I recently took a lady in her eighties out in her automatic car for a refresher lesson. She knew there was something wrong because everyone was beeping their horns at her
    It was terrifying!
    Few pointers on how to brake correctly and how to decide when to emerge from a side road or cross traffic, and in less than an hour, she was a fairly good driver. Less chance that she will be the one that pulls out of a side road as you approach on your bike.

I'm just waiting in a hotel at Cardiff airport to be picked up and then collect my next bike, a VFR 1200F DCT!
    Driving up through Wales and back over on the Holyhead Dublin ferry. Live in Northern Ireland.
    Really looking forward to this.

10. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    have a safe trip and enjoy the bike

Bubba Utah likes this.
  11. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds to me you need some more time in the saddle to get over the anxiety. I would plan a couple short 30-50 km rides, timed to stay out of heavy traffic, on some easy roads for a couple days. A basic or intermediate riders class would be a good idea and benefits all riders reviewing what we think we already know. I wouldn't think being apprehensive after a 20 year riding break to be unusual. Your skill and confidence will build with time, as it did when you first started riding before the mid 90's, but as we get older, for many of us, it takes a bit of time to get acclimated. You don't have to go fast to enjoy riding a motorbike, and speed will come with experience and confidence. Congratulations on the 'new to you' bike and getting back to riding.

12. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Motorcycling. The lazy man's Zen. There is nothing quite like the fear of death to keep one focused on the moment. :D

Ride safe.

GatorGreg and Bubba Utah like this.
  13. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    as Colin Edwards says 'an ass puckering moment' probably keeps you from being too complacent!

14. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Finding a nearby sensible riding buddie to enjoy some easy going local runs is a great way to regain confidence, especially if you have been without a bike for a while. So you might want to get in touch with the Ulysses-Club GB as they have members around the UK (including a few near Grantham) who will be happy to have you join them for a local ride. Places like Foxton Locks and the Vale of Belvoir are regular haunts. If you fancy the idea of an overseas trip but are a bit wary of heading overseas on your own, there are several easy going European trips planned every year which you can tag onto. Whilst BMW and Triumph bikes abound you will not be the only VFR rider!

Take Care ATGATT

15. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    did not realise that there was Ulysses club over,I knew that had one in Oz but thought it was an aussie club!,will look into it, thanks