A factory red and black '90 VFR?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by VFRVogt, Mar 29, 2015.

1. VFRVogt

VFRVogt New Member

United States
    Map
    Did Honda ever make a red and black factory paint scheme for 1990? I came across one for sale and am wondering if...it's for real or a crash repair from the past.
    The bike is red overall with a black lower front Cowl and bottom rear covers. Has all the looks on close inspection to be authenticate but it's suppose to be all red isn't it?

2. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    Depending on the year and country sold in, 3rd gen VFR's were available in solid red, black, white, and silver.

3. VFRVogt

VFRVogt New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry, I should have been more clear; a 1990, USA bike. It's red and black. Is that factory colors or mix and match fairing parts from previous owners?

bike.jpg

4. rjgti

rjgti New Member

in 1990 they were all red

5. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    Someone likely sprayed the black to cover up scratches.
    Or maybe they just thought it looked better black.
    Check for scratches on bar ends, foot pegs, muffler...

6. VFRVogt

VFRVogt New Member

United States
    Map
    So I can assume that I should be looking for more evidence of crash damage and repair since these fairings are not original to the factory colors--all red? Any suggestions for what to look for if thats the case? I can't imagine someone replaced fairing just for a color change out.

7. VFRVogt

VFRVogt New Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting, the driver pegs are different, the grips are not the type with VFR design on them and there is stainmaster (?) muffler on it and a corbin seat now. I have yet to ride it to see if it has any issues but what would I look for when riding it otherwise?
    Oh, and thanks for the quick answers and advice here too.

8. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The bike itself looks very clean and the changes mentioned above are normal in my opinion, possibly the lower section was painted to cover damages that occurred to paint during normal use. That part of the bike does receive quite a bit of abuse from the front tire chucking road debris at it all day.

9. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    Only way to tell is ride it. How much are they asking? The seat and "stayintune"pipe are nice upgrades. By the way finding good used plastic for that gen is getting harder and harder, and can be expensive .

10. VFRVogt

VFRVogt New Member

United States
    Map
    He's way over the top for what he's asking; $3500 USD. I actually like the color combo so I'm good with that but as you mentioned, harder and harder to get replacements for is very true from what I've read so far. While test riding it, anything to pay attention to in particular for a bike thats been down before?

11. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    He has suffered a traumatic brain injury at $3500 :wacko: , aboot a thousand to high if you ask me.

12. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    You could also get a nice 5th gen or even a higher mileage 6th gen for that price. Ten+ years newer, fuel injection. If that bike was perfect with low mileage it might be worth that to a collector.
    I doubt it's been crashed, just make sure it rides true and straight with no shakes. A visual inspection will tell you more. If you haven't bought a used bike before, take someone with you that knows.

13. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Yeh over priced fer sure. How many miles on it? My 91 gen three has been low sided 4 or so times since i owned it. Split the fender every time. I got a red fender on it now. They are super durable bikes. Look for excellent throttle response at low revs in the neighborhood. This will tell you the carbs are syched well. Not a big deal if they are not though. Cheers

14. VFRVogt

VFRVogt New Member

United States
    Map
    It is a 1990 with 28K on it. I went to see it and the battery was dead so it was a no go at that point. He's charging it up for the next visit. Obviously there will some things that will have to be dealt with because of age and what not.

Watch for vibrations and trueness and throttle response, copy that, roger, over and out. Thanks people!

15. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    So, it's $1000 too expensive and the battery was dead - even though he is trying to sell it. It sat long enough for the battery to die which is also long enough for the old gas to gum up the carbs if he didn't drain them. It may well need a new battery now it the old one was allowed to drop below 9-10 volts.

That combined with the paint (maybe minor if still original plastic, but is it actually cheap aftermarket plastic?) and wrong pegs (evidence of being down?) are red flags to me. I'd keep looking ESPECIALLY at that price. You can do better.

Cheers,
    Glenn

16. VFRVogt

VFRVogt New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, you are right. The price is too much, and I had also thought of the battery {length of time to die = gummed carbs} equation issue and what that means. Here's the irony for the cowlings, the parts seem to be factory. Like the lower right cover--it's metal just like it's spec'd to be.
    Anyway, I have time and patience on my side, until I breakout in a serious case of mad spring riding fever.

17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Yeh, its all aboot conditio condition, unless you get it for a steal, and its still parts that cost. I no regrets getting mine road worthy. Cheeers

18. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I am typing like pill :pound:

19. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    OK, now you've confused me. What are you saying is painted black - the lower cowl which is the lower plastic fairing piece (plastic) or the lower engine "side" covers (clutch and stator) which are metal?

20. VFRVogt

VFRVogt New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry, I've been referring to the outside areo parts only and I misspoke when I referenced it with the word "cover". And it's metal. The parts catalogs I've seen online refer to that one in particular as metal