About those Dyno numbers.......

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by GreyVF750F, Nov 25, 2014.

1. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Here's an interesting read about Dyno's and how some of the numbers from them are estimated. Dyno's are just tools to use for estimating what an engine puts out. Most of us know you really can't compare numbers between dyno's. As each will read different. Plus the big fact of the environment when the runs are made.

I've used chassis dyno's for my cars and we had an engine dyno at the speed shop which we used quite often. I helped set that one up and know some of the correction factors that can be changed to try and get accurate numbers. Or in some cases operators can change for inflated numbers.

There's a link called " Read more about inflated hp numbers" which has some more links to actual dyno use and configurations for those interested. Some say dyno's don't lie. I say "Oh really?".

http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html

2. xorbe

xorbe New Member

I hate when places quote in peak crank hp. Also I thought they applied some correction factors based on air temp and elevation too. Just show the measured torque curve at the wheel, along with the elevation and temp.

Then, there are bikes with ram air, that can't be measured quite properly. And cars like the GT-R that were quicker than the dyno numbers could explain (always wondered if the GT-R used gps to determine if it was stationary, and gimp the output a little so the true power wouldn't be known.)

3. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

This. I remember reading somewhere when the GT-R was still fresh on the market that the factory listed power output was greatly underestimated and people were seeing variances of up to 50hp greater than claimed. So much for the gentleman's agreement about factory tuned engines' power output from the 1990s.

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    There was a guy around here that had a Dyno Jet dyno and he would inflate the numbers of his squid friends bikes when they wanted to sell them. You know a bone stock GSXR 1000 with LED lights and chrome making 190 rwhp.