Accessories - and setting up a decent wiring solution

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by KiwiRC36Fan, May 6, 2019.

1. KiwiRC36Fan

KiwiRC36Fan New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Hi all,

So a few months into my first RC36 (1997 750F)
    I've taken a perfectly functional and awesome bike, and having been brought up with the mantra "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - I fixed it anyway...
    and now I'm wanting some advice...

So, the basics of what I've done :
    1 - Braided brake lines, new pads, overhauled master cylinders and calipers
    2 - GPS Tracking installed (ST901)
    3 - 5V USB port for charging
    4 - Keyless <proximity> ignition (GuardDawg - they have been AWESOME - I LOVE this!!!!)
    5 - Billeted adjustable (shorty) Levers and matching bar-ends (and yes, fixed the clutch safety switch)
    6 - Stebel Magnum horns - yes, on relay
    7 - OSRAM Nightbreaker Laser headlamps
    8 - VSYS M2F Pro cameras (1080P front and rear)

I've also had the suspension set up specifically for my fat ass (thank god for the Ohlins rear), done the fork seals, steering head bearings, and I've made up custom slip-on baffle for the (sexy-sounding and very loud) Vance & Hines exhaust (because I sometimes go to work at 5am, and the neighbourhood doesn't need to be notified of my departure) - the baffle stays in place while revs are under 5K and when I give it some juice, at the end of the road and after the bikes warmed up - it pops off and retracts in behind the packrack.
    The Rect/Reg was already done and wiring harness replaced from stator, etc
    Next acquisition and necessary upgrade is a Radar Detector (TPX 3.0) which I have to do in next week or so....
    And so... my question (& probably obvious already to most experienced mechanics) is what's the best way to wire all the accessories.
    In typical fashion I have kinda just taken a piecemeal approach to bolting everything together, and well - there's a few accessories wired in now... and most instructions specify wiring direct to battery which is... well, not my preferred method.

I'm at the point of getting a decent wiring solution to put together - and I'm thinking about wiring a fuse block, hanging off the back of a Battery Guard (shuts off when voltage drops below a preset level - safeguard against Acc-drain) on the live

Any tips, words of advice (other than "get an adventure bike you gadget freak") or hints?
    What might I have missed?
    Any shortfalls you guys can see?

cheers

Attached Files:

2. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Easiest way to install accessories is a relay. That way power is only on when ignition is on.

No need for a battery guard.

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

4. KiwiRC36Fan

KiwiRC36Fan New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    This is true, thanks... however the GPS Tracker also needs unswitched power and I'd like the camera's unswitched (they have a separate smart-power adapter that automatically cuts off after 3 minutes, but I can still want to review footage or export it without having to power on the bike)
    This means it'd end up with pretty much the exact setup I currently have :)

@Norcal - thanks. I like the looks of the PC-8 setup, that's perfect! BINGO!

5. sudolea

sudolea New Member

Belgium
    Map
  6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I went with a product called PDM60 (http://pdm60.com/). It's semi programmable and has 6 circuits which you can set for different amperage levels. A few nice things about this product, the circuits are soft fuses, which means they can be reset by power cycling the ignition. Although this can be a double edge sword, at least your not having to replace physical fuses every time they pop, so trouble shooting an issue would be a little less trouble some and/or costly.

The other is that circuits can be set to either always on, contact closure switched or ignition based. The switched circuit is something I use in line with a relay. The momentary closure on the lead will allow power to pass through the circuit while the closure is maintained. I put the battery leads to a volt meter and relay so when I make the closure, the relay closes and allows voltage to go from the battery straight to the volt meter. This way I can check my battery level without having a key. When the ignition is on, the circuit works like when the closure is made.

The other feature I use is the delayed On/Off. I use the delayed off function for my electric gear and heated grip circuits. This way when I stop for gas in the cold, I do not lose the heated gear while I gas up. You can set a delay for on, for such things as high wattage lights or auxiliary lights, so that they do not draw power immediately when the ignition is turned on. Giving you more power for the starter.

7. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Have the pc 8 on my vfr. Does your camera not have a battery?

8. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map

Great bit of kit too have one on my r12rt. Very expensive, think the negative side of it spoil the whole thing a mini bus bar would have been better.

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

So far I'm happy with it, the two features I mentioned before was really the main reason I bought it. I tied everything up nicely with a terminal strip and tucked it away. The 'Neutrino' that sudolea posted is even more programmable and you can control/set it up in real time with a smart phone app. Even do variable output on the fly but I thought it was a little bit more than I wanted.

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Jim Davis is a top notch cat. If you give him the measurements of where you are going to place everything, he will build you a custom harness. Excellent quality stuff, drops right in, no fussing around

This is his earlier Centech version, but you get the point. This was a 6g kit Jim fabbed up for me, just sent him the wire lengths. Nasty old pictures, stolen back from Photobucket

Panel mounted inside cowl trim. Keeps the wires short and tidy. Doesn't make a mess under the seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Relay

[​IMG]

Relay trigger off taillight wire

[​IMG]

No sense wasting your time, tell him what you need, drop it in a half hour. No fiddle fucking around. I'm a firm believer in smarter, not harder.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  11. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    You will need to measure everything out properly though. It is pretty simple to do it yourself.

DSC_3133_zpsfifulmjd.JPG DSC_3139_zpsy9lacisu.JPG DSC_3137_zps6unvpdts.JPG