Added a New Bike to the Stable

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by stewartj239, Apr 28, 2012.

1. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    OK, so it's not a VFR, but it was a big day for my 14 year old. We went to the Honda dealer today to pick up his new CRF150F. He's been riding for 8 years now starting on a CRF50F, then moving to a CRF70F and just out grew his CRF100F. He's got 2 younger brothers that these bikes will be passed down to, so that is why I've been buying new. I've now got more dirt bikes in the house than street bikes. My wife is VERY understanding!

2009 CRF150F-1.jpg 2009 CRF150F-2.jpg

2. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    That's a lucky boy!!! Do you trail ride or MX? I tried to get my daughter into it but we don't have any trails to ride within 2-3 hours from the house and the MX tracks locally are usually over run with younger guys who all think it's race day. It was very intimidating and not the safest for a new rider.

3. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Growing up, I raced MX for many years (125 & 250 AM). But when the kids came along, I wanted to introduce them to dirt biking and not MX. So all we do now is trail ride. I've got access to 100 acress of private land just 10 minutes away where we've set up a 1.3 mile natural terrain loop which is just fantastic. There are no man-made obstacles. My oldest did ask about getting into racing a few years back, but I told him no. The reasons are time, money and that with MX, it is only a matter of time before you get injured. I've been there and done that and I don't want to go there again.

4. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    Nice. That would be great it we had the land around here but I'm navy so military bases don't bring me too close to rural areas. You brought up a good point with MX'ing also. Just getting the bike and all the proper gear for my daughter was doable but then you have to add in track fee's and all the stuff that goes along with it. Before you know it, one weekend is costing $300 for my 10 year old to brake a bike or herself. No so much fun. We took up biking instead :biggrin:

5. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Yes. That was a huge factor. I don't want to deny my kids from racing MX, but there are other expenses that are more important - house, cars, food, clothing, bare essentials! My wife and I agree that we are fortunate enough to be able to afford the trail bikes and gear alone. The cost to do MX is just NOT do-able. Besides, I'm pretty sure that a SX / MX career wouldn't be in their futures anyway :smile:

6. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

United States
    Map
    Bottom line is the fact that you and your wife are very cool parents that will probably end up with some well adjusted kids.
    Keep up the good work!

7. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Shamrock. I just hope that the kids feel that way as they get older. I don't want to end up in a nursing home!

8. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    +1

Quality time with the kids is just that and is the most important thing in the world.

9. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    No doubt about that!

10. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Wish you were closer so we could ride, picked up a CRF450X a couple of months ago and love it. You meet the best people on a Honda.

11. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    TOE - the 450X is my next bike. I almost bought one 2 years ago when we purchased the CRF100. My wife was OK with it, but I was the one who balked. My 650R is going on it's 9th season this year and I love the bike. However, I know that the X puts out pretty much the same amount of HP and is MUCH lighter. At the end of the day, I couldn't justify it then. Here are some pictures of it. I keep it in nice shape and it is ridden hard. The problem is that it is a Honda and you can't kill it. My plan right now is to run the R for 2 more years then move to the X. So what can you tell me about the X so far? I've never ridden one, but from what I've researched, it sounds like it will be a good replacement.

2001 XR650R - 1.jpg 2001 XR650R - 2.jpg