Advice on removing crankcase cover

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Bat-1, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Bat-1

Bat-1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Replacing the crankcase cover on my 08 VFR800 next week -- right side engine cover.

Just purchased the bike from a guy who dropped it and scuffed up the cover bad enough that some oil might be seeping through.

I have the service manual and it looks like a straight unbolt/swap/bolt back on with new gasket operation.

If anyone has done this and there's something I need to watch out for I'd appreciate a message.

Does anything fall out once I remove the cover? Studs, cogs, gaskets, washers etc ...?

I've done three stator covers over the last year (generally the cover on the other, left, side of the motor and it would have been good to know that you have to fight the alternator magnet to pry these off and to watch out for the starter motor cog falling out).

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    most likely the shaft and a thick washer will fall out from the starter clutch on right side. you'll need to encourage the cover to come off starting at the 2 dowel pin locations.

reading the fsm would be smart.

tools: use top setup to remove bolts and the lower one to install bolts and prevent over-tightening.

july 25-18 038.JPG