after the first oil change

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by whitedove, Feb 5, 2015.

1. whitedove

whitedove New Member

Did the initial first oil change and chain tightening etc. but was wondering at what mileage can you switch to the 10w40 Motul performance oil. Some mechanic told me once that the break-in period is 6000 miles then go to the synthetics, that seems like a lot of miles. when i switched to Motul in my 6th generation bike it ran superbly, but i already had 12,000 on it. So what's the best timeframe for a new engine to 'break in' with dinosaur juice?

2. thegreatnobody

thegreatnobody New Member

Map
    After 500 miles, go synthetic.

3. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Can of worms but here is an interesting read. I change oil on a new engine at 25 miles then 100 miles, 500 miles then every 2 k. Full Syn after 500. And its not slow either, just no steady rpm's and no red line at first.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    It is what pure synthetics do NOT contain that make them better, but more expensive. If during the break in period, you are planning to change oil after 100-500 miles to get rid of metal particles from manufacturing and wearing in, then don't waste the money on expensive oils.

5. jimlowe

jimlowe New Member

I don't often buy brand new bikes but few years back,bought new HD vrod,pretty much followed that to the letter except for the first oil change as it was 300 miles to get home.but when I eventually sold the bike at 40000 miles,I never had to add oil between routine changes.

6. vfrfly

vfrfly New Member

Being in Canada we have kms not miles....but i changed my oil the first time at about 270 kms. went to synthetic then. Changed it again when she had just 814 kms on the odometer. I do tend to break my new bikes in fairly aggressively. This is not meant as any hard and fast rule on what is right or wrong. Just what i did and have done similarly to other bikes over the years. Not once have i ever had an engine failure on any bike except a 4 stroke motocross bike that i purchased used and think it was badly maintained. When that engine decided to go boom while at full throttle climbing a steep sandy hill it did a lot of damage. So much so i chose to not rebuild it and parted the rest of the bike out. probably my fault for buying a bike i knew was poorly maintained ( the price was right ) and instead of rebuilding it totally i just adjusted the valves and changed rhe oil and rode it. My opinion is worth 2 cents maybe if i give you some change back. ...just my experiences.