Aftermarket Cam Chain Tensioners.

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Truckinduc, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Truckinduc

Truckinduc New Member

Well for some reason Honda decided to drop the gear driven cams and go with chain driven cams for the 6th gen VFR's.

Well in case you dont know, the cam chain tensioners have problems. If left neglected, serious engine damage could and probably will result.

There have been thousands and thousands of cases where a stock Honda Cam chain tensioner has failed.

There is a design flaw in the spring of the automatic tensioner. The most common thing to do is replace the stock tensioner with a manual aftermarket one.

Only problem is there are aftermarket units available.

NOW, this brings up my point.

Im judging interest on manual tensioners. I have the means to build them.

Price will be slightly higher than the stock units. And everything needed will be included.

I need about 20 people to commit to a group buy and then production will begin.

Im doing the same thing for the VTR 1000, you can view the prototype thread here, Who wants CCT's - SuperHawk Forum

And in case you havent read up on the problems the stock units have, here are some threads.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics-garage/8973-cam-chains-2002-a.html

http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics-garage/8973-cam-chains-2002-a.html

I would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

2. dogman

dogman New Member

Australia
    Map
    There are already manual ccts available for the VTR 1000, made in US by APE.

There may be APE ones that will fit the VFR, I dont know.

The VFR doesnt suffer the same sort of terminal engine damage that the VTR does in the event of a cct failure, just gets rattly them you replace them.

If there are no APE ones that fit, then what you are doing is a good idea, although I probably wouldnt bother.

In my opinion, replacing ccts should be treated as more of a maintenance issue, as the Firestorm owners do now, replaced at about 50000Kms rather than waiting for a failure.

The ccts on the VFR are a little inaccessable compare to a VTR and adjusting a manual one would be a pain, especially the front one, with all the crap under the airbox.

3. Truckinduc

Truckinduc New Member

The VFR engine is an interference engine. The rattling is a sign of the cct failing. sometimes it happens slow, sometime fast. Since it is an interference engine when the timing jumps the top end of the motor can very easily be destroyed. Its not AS common as the VTR, due to engine harmonics, but it definitely can happen.

And the front tensioner is not easy to get to on the VTR either, under the airbox also.

BUT the CCT only needs to be adjusted every 10 thousand miles or so. not like you going to be doing it every other weekend.

4. Truckinduc

Truckinduc New Member

and APE does not produce the tensioners for the VFR, im simply filling a void.

5. dogman

dogman New Member

Australia
    Map
    Its a good idea. I had a VTR1000 last bike, and I fitted APES to it as well.
    One thing I found was it was difficult to do up the locknut and adjust the tension at the same time on the front one.
    You need to make sure that there is spanner acces to the locknut on the VFR, I know its fairly Tight in there.
    Good luck with your venture.

6. Truckinduc

Truckinduc New Member

Yes, and I recess the mounting bolts so the heads of the bolts dont get in the way of the wrench for tightening the lock nut.

7. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

Just thought you guys should check out this thread too. "Gen. 6 engine noise?"
    He talks about a replacement tensioner that is an over the counter item! I know you guys are talking about making MANUAL tensioners, not auto.
    Milehighinterceptor, "Is there anyone else out there who has experienced a clicking sound once the bike is warm from idle to about 3000rpm? Mine did this and it turned out to be the cam chain tensioners. From what I've learned, while Honda's have quite good valves their cam chain tensioners quite often become loose. The guys at Faster here in Denver replaced mine with a fabbed pair from a 600RR and completely fixed it. (The stock ones are hydraulic assist and become loose. They'll also loosen even more as the oil in the piston heats up.) The RR ones that they put in are the exact same size but bolted in. Cost me $120 for the tensioners but the bike sounds soooo much better not clicking (which was loud enough to drown out some of the exhaust)."