Aftermarket TPMS

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by FelipeT, Aug 3, 2017.

1. FelipeT

FelipeT New Member

United States
    Map
    Anybody have recommendations on an add on tire pressure monitoring system? I had a blowout on the interstate yesterday and was barely able to keep it upright. Even a few seconds of warning would have helped.

My front runner right now is the Doran 360M. Does anyone have any experience with this, or another suggestion? I'd really prefer to use internal sensors over the stem mounted units.

Thanks! IMG_20170802_161519.jpg

2. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    What caused it to fail like that?
    Scary.

3. FelipeT

FelipeT New Member

United States
    Map
    Not sure yet. I'll know when I dismount the tire this weekend. For now, I'm running my backup wheel/tire. VFR is my 140 mi/day commuter, so it sees a lot of action.

4. FelipeT

FelipeT New Member

United States
    Map
    ... And yes, it went out on me at 70 MPH on the interstate in four lanes of heavy traffic. Managed to fight it across three lanes to get it over to the shoulder. It wasn't easy to keep it upright. Cherry on top was that my kickstand couldn't be used because with the flat, the bike sat too low for it to balance on the shoulder. Couldn't dismount the bike until I pushed/limped it to the next exit and found a parking lot with a favorable incline.

I don't recommend it.

5. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Good job keeping it on 2. Looks like it deflated all at once, I wonder if TPMS would have helped.
    I know you can get aftermarket TPMS stuff for cars.... Not sure about bikes.

6. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Sure you could get a TPMS that has sensors that mount on the valve stem. Trade that rubber one in for a steel one, and you'd be okay with a rebalance. However, I think they're a waste of money on a bike. I have them on my 5th wheel toyhauler, but I'd never bother putting one on my bike. A TPMS isn't going to help you with that type of instant deflation. You're going to know it's flat before the TPMS alerts you to the problem.

OTOH they will alert you to a slow loss of air pressure. But you're very likely to be able to feel the bike handling funny and that will alert you to the problem.

Personally I think, for a bike, they are a wash.