Age Old Question ... 6'4" and Need A Better Windscreen

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by PAFirefighter11, Jun 29, 2011.

1. PAFirefighter11

PAFirefighter11 New Member

Hey all,

So I have a Zero Gravity screen that came on my bike. Not sure which one it is. I am 6'4" and get hit with wind pretty bad while riding. My bike is currently my daily commuter. I ride 50 miles round trip to/from work per day. 95% of that ride is highway riding. I also ride a lot on weekends. My g/f and I racked up 400+ miles just on Saturday and Sunday alone. I'm looking for something that will block a bit more wind for me than my current screen. Any recommendations would be superb.

Shots here of my current setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!

2. milo30

milo30 New Member

Where is the wind hitting you right now? I'm 6'1" and was messing with mine last weekend. Get a lot of noise in the helmet and with the helmet shield down, felt like a bobble head doll. I pulled my windshield off and took it for a ride and loved it. The wind helped relieve pressure on the wrists and it was super quiet. I cut a few inchese off of the windshield and it was better than stock but still noisy. I'm cutting mine down some more. I would love to just remove my shield but it looks crappy without one.

I am looking into something larger like a touring shield for the winter months. Curious as to what you find. Even on a harley with a large touring shield, I still caught alot of wind on the top of the head making it uncomfortable.

3. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

I saw this windscreen on a 5th gen. out at the local bike night a few weeks back PAF,might work for you. Really kinda like it myself. Not sure what brand it is though. Maybe some keen-eyed 5th genners could help you out with that.

Hey listen if you're not into that high-tech stuff or nuthin' PAF I was thinkin' maybe we could just get a hacksaw and cut you off at the knees and make you into a 5 foot 6 incher. Wind blast prolly wouldn't bother you as much then. I mean you know,just sayin'...... :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. camo

camo New Member

Map
    EDIT I wrote this and looked at Milo's post:

sometimes the answer is not what you think. Increased wind occurs as the wind is funneled up into your face by the windscreen. The wind speed is much higher because the air is compressed just before it hits you.

You might try riding it with the wind screen off, if that helps try cutting down your windshield.

Of course you can always switch to a gold wing. :)

5. PAFirefighter11

Hah thanks for the info guys.

The wind hits me about 2-4 inches below my helmet I'd say. My ride is LOUD due to wind noise. Just got to work 15 mins ago and my ears are ringing. I may consider getting a stock windscreen and cutting it down 'til I get the right amount of airflow for now, but for the colder months I'll need something higher to kick that wind up and over me. I've been out on the bike in 22* weather a few times. It was not a lot of fun, mainly due to the wind.

My g/f is 5'7" and I don't think she'd enjoy being taller than me. She likes wearing heels and still having me taller than her. Ah women... lol. My Hawk GT was still pretty bad with no windscreen, but my head didn't bobble back and forth like it does now. I have a different helmet than I did on the Hawk GT as well. I'm curious to talk to someone running that screen, Stosh. I hope someone here has it and responds. The one you posted almost looks like a Zero Gravity like mine but with an attached upper piece? I see lettering on the screen - do you recall what it says - is it a brand?

I've found this one: TwistedThrottle.com : Givi Windscreen (Honda VFR800, -'01) - Givi D200S

[​IMG]

6. MSLBend

MSLBend New Member

Lost with no intention of finding it anymore
    I"m 6'3" and just got a 01 with a stock windscreen and the wind hits me below the helmet. By contrast, a friend has an 01 with the higher GIVI touring windscreen and when I ride his bike, it's significantly louder and more turbulent. Personally, I kinda like the wind hitting my upper chest as relieves pressure on the hands and seems to balance the ride. I'm sticking with the stock screen.

7. PAFirefighter11

It seems I need to find someone with a stock screen and ride their bike on the highway. Anyone local want to swap bikes for a few minutes? heh....

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Most dudes round up to their height, this being impressive to anyone not carrying a tape measure. What is really cool is to covert even one's real height to millimeters for a bigass number.

9. PAFirefighter11

I'm sure they do but.. Does that mean my doctor and the government round up as well?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

10. Badbilly

United States
  11. PAFirefighter11

Too bad YouTube is blocked here at work, huh? Oh well.

12. Badbilly

United States
    My condolences for having to work in an oppressive environment. Try not to let paranoia set in until you get home.

13. PAFirefighter11

So does anyone have personal experience with that tall windscreen from Givi?

14. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    I have the givi screen on my 99, came with the bike. I'm only 5'7" so its kind of unnecessary for my height. It puts the wind right at bottom of the visor on my helmet. Makes the wind a little noisier in my helmet but I think for a taller person it would be perfect. It doesn't bobble my head around and theres no wind pressure on my shoulders either.

Attached Files:

15. pheonix165

pheonix165 New Member

Map
    I have the givi pictured on my 01. at 6'1" wind noise is not cured entirely, based on bug splats, wind is now directed at my visor. however, if you crouch rather than sit upright...it is possible for me to get behind the screen. which I find useful when riding in morning dew. that being said, at least I don't feel like a bobble head.

16. PAFirefighter11

Thanks guys - I'm going to sell or look for someone to trade up for my smoked Zero Gravity Double Bubble. Maybe the Givi will work better for me as a commuter screen. Any interest? :)

17. PAFirefighter11

I'm bored here at work so I pulled the windscreen for the weekend. We'll see how it rides:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  18. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    I'd possibly be interested if i was back in PA, but I also know that my Givi screen as one broken tab. Although it hasn't caused any issues...

19. PAFirefighter11

Depending on which tab is broken I'd be interested, but it also seems like it'd be a PITA to ship these out due to the dims. Would be nice to find a local one. If I can't find it locally I'll shoot you a PM.

20. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    Uh, it still hooks into the fairing in the slots in the front, I believe the broken tab is near the right mirror. Been a few miles since I last had it off.