Aggressive riding and master cylinders

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Skot_2003_VFR800, May 21, 2014.

1. Skot_2003_VFR800

Skot_2003_VFR800 New Member

United States
    Map
    I got back from a rather aggressive bumby ride a couple of days ago and am noticing some seeping around both the clutch and brake master cylinders. Like a single drop running down the edge, no pooling, wipes away and didn't come back. My question is could my aggressive leaning and bumps kind of rattle and shake some fluid past the seal? Should I just get each level in turn and take off the cover, wipe clean and reinstall? Is this normal?

2. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    If the seals are functioning properly it shouldn't leak. Sometimes a piece gets pushed in around the edge of the seal when tightening. it won't hurt to open them up and check.

3. Skot_2003_VFR800

United States
    Map
    could have been from the service I had recently where they flushed and filled the brake and clutch fluids.
    Will open up and clean/dry and reapply to see what happens.

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like they overfilled them.

5. Skot_2003_VFR800

United States
    Map
    It's possible. I wiped off both the clutch and brake master cylinders, and rode today. No leakage or any such thing. I really think that my 20 miles of unmarked back roads that were quite bumpy was the culprit of shaking fluids (a drop here and there, mind you) out of my master's and out of my rear brake line. Since riding on normal roads I have seen nothing new. Weird. I guess the VFR is not a dual sport or adventure bike by any means. I may have to soften the suspension a bit, though to avoid all that jostling.

6. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    You might want to take the covers off, very carefully, and see how full they are. They don't need to be brimming, but they also need to have enough to make sure no air gets down around the
    feed hole. Also if they seep a little the repeated exposure to brake fluid will eventually peel the paint off the master cylinders. And if you don't notice a drop and it lands on your painted tank, you
    will be a very unhappy camper.

7. nearfreezing

nearfreezing New Member

United States
    Map
    I recently flushed the clutch/brake fluids and had seepage around both master cylinders in the week following. Tightening the master cylinder cover screws seems to have solved the problem. Still, given the tendency of hydraulic fluid to eat paint and the fact that the diaphragms were probably 12 years old, I ordered replacements for $7 each + $6 shipping from Partzilla. Better safe than sorry.

8. ricky

ricky New Member

United States
    Map
    It did not leak because of your aggressive riding and resulting jolts.

The MC wa either overfilled or there was some fluid left on top of the master cylider cap seal/diaphragm or the seal is not sealing correctly

9. hilbily

hilbily New Member

Ill agree with ricky. when they took the cover off they set them down upside down. this let some of the fluid to flow the wrong way and get on the normal top side of the seal/diaphragm. slap the cover back on and tightened down and the fluid that made it to the "top" gets forced out.