AGM Battery Walmart

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by sebring, Mar 10, 2011.

1. sebring

sebring New Member

I need a new battery for my 99 VFR800. I was in Walmart today and see that they have an AGM battery for the VFR for $50. Just wondering if anyone has tried one of these batteries...
    I didn't open the box to look at it, but picked it up, it felt a little on the heavy side for me. What do you all think?

2. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    not the Walmart brand but an $85 form Batteries Plus MIC (Made in China). so far it has been working. Also Advanced auto in my area now has a whole motorcycle section and they too have an AGM battery for $60-80 Can't quite remember.

3. OTTOMAN

OTTOMAN New Member

United States
    Map
    Absorbed glass Mat...good technology. I've used Wally World battery in my jet ski. No qualms, especially for the price.

4. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    The Wal-Mart AGM battery I got was made by YUASA. So far, so good.

5. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, mine lasted about 15 months, typical for batteries in my bike. Walmart just swapped it out last week under "warranty".

6. Squamish VFR

Squamish VFR New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes it may work but do a little google and find out what the charging parameters are for an AGM. AGM's and gel cells and Optima's need a slightly lower float voltage in particular and should only be used with a more sophisticated regulator. Do the reserch and get the float voltage number. I think my bike tops out at 14.1-14.4 in there somewhere. This doesn't mean it can't be used but if it is you may not get the life out of it that's promised. Stator charging systems are not very sophisticated. Had a customer years ago F@#K up $5K worth of Optimas by over charging them in his yacht. In the case of the VFR; battery failures themselves can be hard on the Reg Rec which is why most tend to get scared at five to seven years out on a battery and change it before it fails and takes out the RR.

7. sebring

sebring New Member

OK, so here's how this ended up: I bought the Walmart "with AGM Technology" battery for $50. It was listed as replacement batteryt for the VFR. When I got it home I opened the box and was surprised to see 6 viles of acide and plugs. Obviously this would not work with my VFR as the battery lays at a sharp incline and in my mind would be prone to leak. Also, it required charging. So, I returned the battery and told customer service that I felt the box was a little misleading as it really is not an AGM batter. Then I went to Advance Auto and paid about $83 for a true AGM battery. Popped iit in the bike and it fired up quickly with no charging. I am happy with this battery. I had bought one several years ago for my PC800 and had good success.

8. a90s2cs

a90s2cs New Member

NAPA still has a sealed battery for the 750 for $69, two years so far so good, I trust NAPA products more than any of the the other retail chain places. Thought it was done for this fall but I charged it last week & it seems it'll work another year. I should also mention that my bike spends the winter months as a sculpture in my living room with both terminals disconnected... No harsh cold & no slow drain seem to make a big difference in battery life.

9. inpurgatory1

inpurgatory1 New Member

it is a true agm ..they ship it dry to ensure longevity its the only way you as a consumer can be guaranteed a fresh battery . once you add the acid it gets absorbed into the matting so no leaks...

10. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Pretty much what I would have said. The actual routine is;

1. Fill the battery with the acid
    2. Let it sit for 20 or 40 minutes (can't remember exactly)
    3. Put on the "permanent" cell caps
    4. Charge at a low rate (~1-2 A/H) for about 3 hours

It bothered me a bit the first time I dealt with it, but now I kind of like the idea.

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    An "inclined " battery? Upside down maybe? Wrong size tire? Parked on a hill? A Harley?

12. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    +1

Turns out it wasn't my WalMart AGM battery but burned stator wires. Spliced out the bad section and everything is fine with the new battery. Probably would have been fine with the old one. Live and learn (to check your wiring).