AIR HORN UPGRADE 3rd Gen.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by 91 vfr, Apr 7, 2012.

1. 91 vfr

91 vfr New Member

Just figured i would share my experience on installing this on a 3rd gen. Last night I got done installing a compact 136db air horn from FleaBay. Came with wiring harness and relay, and cost under $30 shipped. only thing I needed to get was an inline fuse holder. Didn't take pics along the way :crazy: and only took a combine of probably 2 hours and a few beers :drinkers: to install. That is with soldering all the connections, not just plugs, and liquid electrical tape over all open areas and then running it through the bike. Only real modification I had to do was drill out the original horn bolt hole to fit the one for the air horn and Bend the original horn bracket down so it wouldn't hit the radiator when turning all the way to the right. And drill a small hole in the sub frame to mound the relay. And let me tell you, for $30 this horn is a MAJOR improvement!!! This thing is F#$%ing LOUD!!! Got to use it not even 1/2 hour after the first ride with it and man did that piss the cager off when i hit the horn :mad2: I actually got the finger hahaha. It isn't the cleanest wiring job when looking at it from front, but how many people really look up in there, and the rest is all hidden on the frame of the bike. All in all im very satisfied with it. I'll try to upload a video once i figure out how to do that.

Attached Files:

2. orion3814

orion3814 New Member

That there is awesome I don't care what ne 1 says

3. duB

duB New Member

Isn't in the path of the fender if the forks compress at their max? I installed one myself on a 5th gen and rejected this area for this reason.

4. 91 vfr

91 vfr New Member

duB - I thought about that and as far as I could push them down (and I was pushing pretty hard) it was still far enough away for me. If it does end up hitting the fender I guess ill come to that road when I get there. But for now its good for me :)

5. MapMaster

MapMaster New Member

Hope I'm wrong, but it sure looks like you're going to come to that road real soon - like when you hit the first decent sized pothole, or possibly even from the need for a major application of the front brake.
    The real problem is that if it does interfere, it can lead to more than just a damaged fender or horn. The potential for a lose of control and subsequent crash in that situation is very real.

I mounted a similar horn on my 4th gen under the right side mid fairing where the PAIR valve used to be.

6. 91 vfr

91 vfr New Member

Well after another buddy of mine asking me about the same thing yesterday I had him come over today and we ratchet strapped the forks / handlebars down onto his trailer untill they bottemed out and because of the front fender sloping down behind the wheel and the horns sloping at the same angle as the fender and having the horn bracket bent as far back as I can with-out it hitting the lower tripple or radiator, while bottomed out it was just a hair or two away from touching the brake line that crosses over the fender . So I believe that it will be just dandy :dance: Thanks for the concern, I was thinking about it in the back of my head and now I know that it won't cause a problem.

7. MapMaster

MapMaster New Member

I was thinking about advocating a check along those lines, good to know that it clears.
    Loud horns save lives!

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    just stay away from stoppies and wheelies-RIGHT