Altenator Swap Recomendations for 4th gen?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Russell B. Fancy, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Russell B. Fancy

Russell B. Fancy New Member

Does anybody have a recommendation for a replacement to the stock alternator? I've done the complete "Drill" (Mosfet R/R, soldered direct from the R/R to alternator, replaced the solenoid, new battery). I brought it to parts store for a diagnostic and I'm still getting a reading for a bad diode/fluctuation(?). P.S. I'm just a carpenter that loves his VFR and doesn't want to push it home from two miles away again and I don't really know much about engines - only what I read on this forum. Thanks in advance.

2. ricky

ricky New Member

United States
    Map
    If the stator is fine now and you have replaced or upgraded the wiring and r/r no need to replace the stator. The stator itself is not a weak point on this bike. Its the bad r/r, wiring, battery causing the stator to fail.

3. Russell B. Fancy

Thanks for replying. Unless my meter is garbage or I don't know what I'm doing ( which is not unlikely ) I am getting resistance from the stator.. I figured at this point I would just replace that as well and hopefully be done with my charging issues.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Did you check the plugs between stator and r/r and the one connected to the starter relay?? Two common points of VFR electrical chaos.

5. Russell B. Fancy

Yes sir. I replaced the starter rely - it was toast, and I soldered direct the stator to a new Mosfet r/r. I pulled the stator out and to my untrained eye it looks fine. I have already ordered a new one by Rick's...

6. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    USUALLY the Reg/rec takes the stator with it.

I personally replace my reg/rec with one from a Hayabusa, complete with nice metal heat sink. Wires are almost identical, just make sure to check which one is ground, other is power. I used individual connections to assure optimal continuity. That was 5 years ago. Also installed voltmeter and it still says 14 volts at 2000 RPM. Had to take a little off some of the heat sink fins to clear plastic.

Good luck.

Larry

7. dugdthug

dugdthug New Member

United States
    Map
    this video helped me
    [video=youtube;5v2LtHlvcqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v2LtHlvcqI[/video]