Another Darn CCT Question

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Expvet, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    I was beginning to change my CCTs beginning with the rear one when I hit a snag. I checked the winding procedure to retract the tensioner with the unused new one and found that to fully retract the head it takes 6 complete turns. When I went to remove the old one I was able to get to 4 full turns before it gave so much resistance that the the tool would bend. I tried a few more times with the same results and decided to stop until I found out for sure if it is necessary to fully retract the head with the 6 turns or are 4 enough?

2. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    Anybody remember removing their rear CCT?

3. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I just did mine a few weeks ago and as I recall, I just turned them until they stopped and locked them at that point. I did the rear one first as it was easier to do in case I ran into a problem but it all went pretty smoothly. You don't have to remove the carbs to get the front one like the manual tells you to. Just lift the tank and remove the airbox and you can easily get to it with a 1/4 drive socket. When you remove the stacks in the airbox make note of what one goes where. I didn't notice that they were different until I went to reinstall them.
    Good luck.

4. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking. Since the shaft probably does not extend all the way out when in use it takes less turns to retract it. I saw so many posts where the cap popped off and fell in the engine when pulling the tensioner out that I wanted to be careful and not turn an hour job into a weekender, or worse.