Another FIRST BIKE POST! To VFR or NOT to VFR, that is the ???

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by TJFORBES, Jun 1, 2012.

?

"04" VFR800, Good big guy first bike?

1. YES

72.4%
  2. NO

27.6%
  1. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

I have seen this question asked over and over, so far I have found mixed answers. I wanted to post my own question based off my own unique characteristics. I am COMPLETELY NEW to riding, I am going the BASIC SAFETY TRAINING route; My class starts on Monday. I have my HEART set on a 2004 VFR800, I fell in LOVE with these bikes. I have asked avid 20 year+ riders that I personally know and they say "GO FOR IT" they think I'll get rid of my STARTER BIKE in a month, if I don't get what I want initially. I am a bigger guy 6'3" 230 lbs so a TINY starter 250 will be super uncomfortable IMHO, I am mature and I will not be doing any STUNTS or trying to IMPRESS anyone. I thought this would be a great place to ask the question, because on other forums I've seen answers based off ASSUMPTION from people who have NEVER ridden on a VFR, they take the 800 and run with numbers, that seem to be untrue. I'm NEW here, hope I've come to the right place. THANK YOU!

2. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Given your size, I would recommend a Ninja 650. It's a great bike for someone that is new. You will learn a lot more on it and it's lighter than the VFR.

Those that say you will be bored with a starter bike within a month most likely only know how to twist the throttle. They don't know how to RIDE.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Well if you love the bike than go pull the trigger and be happy.......As smiley said it is a bit on the heavy side. But who care you be riding the damn thing anyway :)
    I am 5'5" 140 lbs I have no issue riding the bike just don't drop them. Just take your time and get to know the bike, you either like it or will hate it.

4. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I always think a small bike is in order for a new rider. It is the safe bet no matter the mismatch. Safety is the most important. Best to be bored with your ride and not get hurt until your ready. Really hate to come off like I am talking down to you but the very best time of you life can be lost with one bad moment. Seen it to many times. Tough learning curve. Riding will change your life like nothing else. Changed for the better or just a bad story over beers with other that did not respect. Sorry to be such a drag but it tends to go one way or he other.......be sure it is the way I love it.

5. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

Thanks for the fast responses so far. I really appreciate it. @Toe Cutter it's not a "drag" I appreciate your honest opinion and thats what I need thanks.

6. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Chances are 50/50 that you will drop it in the first year or less of ownership, thats for brand newbie rider. Riding is a skill that takes some time to build up. -- My suggestion is look for a 500 to 750 standard bike and ride it and gain confidence till you feel ok you can ride. There is plenty of examples under $2k or less. A used SV650 is perfect. Lots of Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and kaw standard out there too.

Then again, I'm sure people here that have done it will pipe up and add their 2 cents.

7. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    I say go for it! You won't stay off it. I don't think it's too big for 1st timer, like any bike, just give it respect.

8. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    get a dual sport like a DR650 or KLR for dirt cheap. The things are made to hit the ground, hell of fun to ride, and a great compliment to a VFR later on. Gives you some time to shop around and learn more while logging miles on pavement and dirt.

9. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

I found some CHEAP bikes for sale as starters, out of these what is a good one to learn on in compliment to the VFR800 I plan to get next IF I go the training bike route? YAMAHA FZR600 unsure of year, wasn't listed. "91" CBR600, "00" Katana 600, "94" Ninja 600, or "90" GS500? I found these bikes listed under 2 grand. Most I'd pay on something to learn on.

10. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Chances are if you are enrolled in one of the many riding courses a smaller bike may be provided you. Not having owned or ridden all the bikes you are looking at, generally speaking the engine displacement is roughly analagous to the "size" of the bike. You may be a bit large for say one of the 500 or 600s but do not mistake size or displacement for lack of speed or power.

Take the course and buy the VFR. If you can walk and chew gum at the same time you can ride one. If you cannot walk and chew gum at the same time, buy a Harley. ;)

11. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

Yes their providing a bike for me to take the safety course on. The bikes I mentioned was bikes I see listed locally for sale that I could afford to buy and learn on. Thanks I'm still trying to decide. Depends on how comfortable I feel after I take this course I guess.

12. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map

I tend to agree with Mello. Bodywork, of any kind, is expensive to replace, so a naked bike might be a better choice. Given your size, the suspension on any bike that you choose will probably be under-sprung, but it most likely won't be an issue for a while. As you develop your skills and a feel for what the bike is doing, some suspension rework will be beneficial.

There is also the possibility that you can find a used SV650 that has already had the suspension modified, as it is a common upgrade. The SVRider forum is a good place to look for info.

13. pjvtec

pjvtec New Member

Map
    I don't believe in starter bikes. My first ride was a big Suzuki GS1100E. You're over 6 foot, and you'll be able to handle the weight. The power on the '04 VFR is super tame. Any bike can get you in trouble. Get the VFR.

14. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Those biked don't complement the VFR, they are more if a competitor. They are the kind of bike that your friends say you would get bored with. A dual sport doesn't compete with the VFR as it's so different. You can buy a VFR later and still have reason to keep and enjoy a dual sport.

15. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I'll check back later, I'm busy suiting up to ride my DR650 thru town and up the forest service roads.

16. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    ---Agree that a dual sport would be good to start out with too. Some dirt riding is very good experience. I learned my riding chops from lots of trail riding and motocross.
    Check 450s and 650s.

---I'm with Lgn001 - find a bike with no body work - Suggest go to craigs list and type in "Nighthawk" and see what pops up. Here locally I found about 15 good examples.

1983 Honda Nighthawk 750
    1983 Honda CB 750 CS Nighthawk
    Very clean 1985 Honda Nighthawk S - 7800k
    Very clean 1985 Honda Nighthawk S - 7795k
    Honda Nighthawk cb650 - 1984

You should be able to find some newer 750 nighthawks too.
    No pic but would be good example
    http://zanesville.craigslist.org/mcy/3049844495.html

Um - I think I'm gonna go look at this guy...:rolleyes:
    http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2993538112.html

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  17. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    :welcome:

I concider myself a "bigger guy", I am 6 ft. & 245 lbs. I am glad I bought my VF750 as it fits me well, size wise.
    I am going to say the same as others have: If you are not willing or able to fix the plastics when you drop your bike, then get a naked bike till you are secure enough in your riding abilities!

18. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

Thanks! Hey so was the VF750 your first bike?

19. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

I have a question? Why is everyone so confident, a new rider WILL DROP their first bike?

20. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Because most everybody does, all of us included. :smile: It is usually something like putting your foot down on gravel or oil, or pushing the bike around the garage or driveway. And there is always the time that you are sure that the kickstand is fully extended only to find out it wasn't...