Another newbie

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tony.B, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Tony.B

Tony.B New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi, Tony here, just joining as I always sign up to a club or forum for each bike I own. I have a VFR 750 FH RC24. Registered as a a 1988, but it was imported to the UK from The Netherlands a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it was manufactured '87. It's an 'H', with the 16inch front wheel and sticky out indicators. It's currently my 'modern' bike!
    Only bought it end of May, but already caused me loads of grief, including an eventful trip 2-up with my son to the TT in June.
    I'll tell more soon, probably won't post much for next few days as some family stuff going on, but no doubt I'll be bothering you with some daft question sooner or later.
    Cheers, Tony.

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Welcome Tony!!

Pictures are always encouraged.

3. Tony.B

Tony.B New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Ok, you asked for it! First picture is broken down on the motorway, 70mph in the outside lane when the motor cut out, had to get across four lanes of traffic, no hard shoulder, but managed to push it 25 yards until we could get it around the armco barrier and onto a verge. Second picture is my son and his girlfriend trying it for size after we got it back home. IMG_9608.jpeg IMG_0089.jpeg

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Oh, I like the Silver w/ Black graphics ones. Nice.

So... what was the problem?

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Tony and Welcome to the MadHouse:Welcome:

Great to see photos of your VFR even if it is already causing you grief. I hope you somehow made it to the TT.

You may want to update your forum profile (link at top) to include an approximate location County/town which will then appear automatically alongside all your posts and then if you need help with the VFR post up in the Mechanics Garage and you may be lucky and find someone living nearby is willing to swing by and offer advice or even pick up a wrench especially if you have a well stocked beer fridge:drink:.

Take care - ATGATT

SkiMad

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    WELCOME !

what caused your highway breakdown ?

7. Tony.B

Tony.B New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    To those asking for what caused the breakdown; I'll give you just one guess, and there's no prizes for the correct answer!

8. Tony.B

Tony.B New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    And yes, we made it to the TT.
    24 hours later than planned, and had to push the bike on and off the ferry. As there was no sign of the reg/rec overheating and all the wiring looked fine, we tried a new battery, and the bike seemed ok. We realised our complacency though on the day of the Senior TT. We left Black Dub and took the longer route around the course back to near Douglas where our camp was sited. The bike stopped just before Ramsey. However, we discovered that by leaving it for 20 minutes, we could bump the bike back into life, and so headed back. Unfortunately I turned too early in Ramsey, and instead of taking the coast road, we went over the mountain. Which at this time of day was strictly one-way only! I've no doubt many of our American friends won't get the significance of this, but two-up on a bike running total loss ignition, going up the mountain in gale force conditions, and knowing that much of the mountain is up hill, it was a hairy ride. Oh, and I'd never been over there before so it was a learning curve. Amazingly we made it down to Creg-ny-Baa before she cut out. Luckily our campsite was near the Creg back lane, so it was a case of wait 5 minutes, bump the VFR, ride a mile, stop, wait, and off we went again. Eventually got back with a push the last 200 yards. When we left the island we rode a short distance to a friends' barn just outside Liverpool, dumped the bike there, and got the train home. Only got around to collecting the bike in a van last week. I am just putting on a new reg/rec and stator, as the stator was reading way to high on the resistance.

RllwJoe and Thumbs like this.
  9. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Good to hear you made it to the TT even if the VFR proved a challenge. Best thing is in a few years time it will doubtless provide plenty of content for suitably embellished family tales.:Pop2: ... pushed the damn thing up and over Snaefell ... with a flat tire... in the pouring rain...

You certainy won't be the first rider to end up pushing their motorbike on and off the Steam Packet ferry!:Deadhorse:

Posts in the link below will give you an overview of the electrical gremlins which beset these bikes and importantly the suggestions on suitable replacement parts - OEM stator should be fine but ideally find a better RR. Recently someone successfully hooked up an 8th Gen RR to work with a 6th Gen, (NB Honda finally decided to install a Mosfet RR on the 7th/8th Gen models). So perhaps that is an alternative solution rather than trying to tracking down a compatible Yamaha Shindengen RR or buying in from Roadstercycle.com in the States (in which case ask for an extra foot of cable).

https://vfrworld.com/threads/how-to-fix-common-regulator-stator-failures.39277/

Good luck - Let us know how you get on Tony.

SkiMad

10. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Try Electrex.co.uk for the RR

11. Tony.B

Tony.B New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thanks for the comments. I had bought an Electrexworld reg/rec, but after taking readings from the stator, I elected to buy one of those too. It's also from Electrexworld, but both actually ordered Wemoto here in the UK who I find are very quick to dispatch stuff.
    After getting it all hooked up earlier today and refilling the oil, we ran up the engine and took readings. Initial battery voltage 12.3v. Started her up and straight to 14v. Yippee!
    Then 15v, and up to 16v, no sign of dropping, and after killing the engine within two minutes, the reg/rec is too hot to touch. So I guess the regulator part isn't controlling the voltage as it should. Certainly if I keep running it like that, the battery is going to fry.
    Luckily it started to rain and I don't currently (see what I did there!), have room in the garage for the bike, so I had to come in. It's my mother's funeral tomorrow, so I think I'll forget about the bike for the next day or two!

Thumbs likes this.