Any Chicago area riders looking for a tour?

Discussion in 'USA - Central' started by Britt, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Britt

Britt New Member

For several years I've been trying to plan a 3 day ride out of the Chicago area to circle Lake Michigan. I'm not sure that I want to be that far away from home alone, just in case I have a problem during the trip. Crashing in the U.P. alone does not sound fun. I have a couple of friends with bikes, but have had no luck in coordinating a trip like this.

I have read about a group who does it every year, but I am not the type to ride in a big group. I prefer to ride with one or two other bikes.
    http://www.aroundthelakes.net/

Anyone from my area who is interested in going this summer? Now that I have my VFR, I'm anxious for some longer tours...

2. brdbluz

brdbluz New Member

United States
    Map
    I've ridden the "Circle Tour" once before and it is a must do trip. The scenery in the U.P. is beautiful! I would love to do it again, but I will not be able to get away for long this summer. The only trips I am planning are to Elkhart Lake and Indianapolis for the Superbike races and Moto GP races. I hope you do find a couple people to go as it is well worth your time. Good Luck.

Bill

3. Britt

Britt New Member

Hi Bill,

My in-laws live in Valporaiso, but I have not explored much of Indiana other than driving through it on my way to Florida. It never occurs to me to try exploring Indiana on the bike. Can you recommend any decent riding in NW Indiana? Now that I have a bike with longer legs, I am looking for new routes to take.

4. brdbluz

brdbluz New Member

United States
    Map
    There are no really good roads around the area unless you like to go in straight line! My buddies and I usually head up to Michigan to find decent riding. Unfortunately, we are about two hours in every direction from good roads, but I guess getting there is half the fun! If you are ever out this direction, let me know. I know a place in Michigan that serves a great cup of coffee. Take care.

Bill

5. VFRHUMP

VFRHUMP New Member

Britt,
    I live just outside of Madison,Wi and would love to do this ride. I have a summer home in Northern Wi. just south of the UP, it would be a great place to stay the first night! We can chat about it if it sounds interesting to you!
    Dave

6. Harpman28

Harpman28 New Member

I live in Pilsen, keep my bike in Brookfield and work in Burr Ridge so Im all around you there in Westmont. I don't know that I'll have time this summer for a trip but you shouldn't discount traveling solo. I travel almost exclusively solo due to my spontaneous nature and lack of motorcycling buddies. I have traveled solo all over the midwest and and great lakes region. In 06 I took my new-to-me 98 VFR across Canada from Thunder Bay to Vancouver, down to Seattle and Portland and back home. Traveling solo is made much easier by owning a Honda, in addition to proper pretrip maintenance and thinking smartly along the way. I did the Lake Superior circle tour solo back in 02' when I was only 20 and I can't say enough good things about the great lakes and Canada. My family also has a place up in northern Wisconsin about 20 miles south of the big Lake and I should be riding around up there next weekend. Amazingly, I have never had any major mishaps while traveling but I never discount the possibility.

I love talking bikes and riding them as well so if you ever want to chat about touring or if you're interested in riding some time let me know. Best of luck.

Davin Erickson

7. jrock

jrock New Member