Any Riding experience with 8 gen VFR 800, what's Pro & Con you guys think?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Carnership, May 9, 2016.

1. Carnership

Carnership New Member

Hi guys,
    I am new in forum, my name is Calvin from CA, USA.
    I would like to jump into a VFR800 recently.
    I had experience with some 600 and 650. Don't wanna get 1000cc monster too soon, so think the VFR800 would be the best for me at this moment.
    Any idea or suggestion you guys can share?

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I have put just under 10K miles on mine and can't think of another bike I would rather have. A lot of guys on here are always looking for more power, less weight, but for me the 800 has plenty. I still have my original '83 Interceptor, and I had a 2003 6th gen for about a year before this one. Can't go wrong, lot of good deals out there, but get the deluxe for sure.

3. Wulf

Wulf New Member

Australia
    I've hit the 4000 km mark with my 2014 8th Gen and I'm loving it, that's not to say the bike doesn't have it faults but no bike is perfect, it just depends on what your primary needs are

Pros:
    Handling is smooth, VTEC engages cleanly
    Adjustable suspension on the DLX model
    ABS works well when required
    LED headlight makes cars and pedestrians alike do a double take
    The bike has more than enough power for my needs and the power band is smooth
    Sporty enough to carve through the hills but still able to go a 200km + trip without excessive discomfort
    Fuel economy suffers when you ride it like I tend to but still get over 200km a tank

Cons:
    Bike runs very hot, fine if you're moving but when stuck in traffic in an Australian summer it can cook
    A little on the heavy side but it handles better than the weight would suggest
    Slightly higher servicing costs down the line (valve clearance)
    A little flat under 4000prm
    Not a great deal of aftermarket accessories
    The horn and indicator switches have been swapped which drove me insane at first
    Canceling indicators are useless IMO
    Traction control can be a little trigger happy
    Big fan of the more aggressive seating position than some tourers but at 6'2" I will probably end up with bar risers to help my wrists on the long hauls

I use it for my daily commute to work and then up to the hills on the weekends and I've found its good blend of comfort and speed. We only get the deluxe option in Australia but considering what it offers I agree with Allyance, I wouldn't even consider the standard

4. Tiutis

Tiutis New Member

United States
    Map
    IMO
    Pros: looks, handling, gas mileage, sound, reliability, cheap to maintain, except for valve adjustment (most skip first one), adjusting a chain is very simple on the single-sided swing arm, versatility between sport , comfort and touring. Paint job!
    The cons are very few if you have the proper expectations of what 782cc can deliver power wise.
    My biggest complaints are nuisances that some can be remedied:
    Stocks bags indented and can hardly fit a medium helmet in a left one. Stock exhaust is too long and covers the rear wheel. The stock handgrips would be nice if were thicker. No cruise control!

5. Carnership

Carnership New Member

Thanks for all of you guys' kindly reply.
    I have heard even it's quite heavy but still have good handling while you are going through hills. That's good for me that I can keep fun and comfort at same time. That's why I am really want to get it for next one.

Thanks again. I will be part of VFR family soon for sure. I believe this bike won't make me disappointed.

6. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Weird, mine is absolutely fine, may be the difference in ambient air temps.

Ridden 700 miles so far on mine and the self cancelling indicators have worked perfectly every time.

7. Wulf

Wulf New Member

Australia
    The heat here doesn't help any, perhaps I'll notice a difference now that we're coming into winter. The bike definitely handles the heat well, I really only notice it when I'm stopped in traffic but it certainly runs a lot warmer than my previous rides, cooks the hell out of my feet when I'm at the lights after a long haul.
    As for the indicators I find a lot of the time they stay on longer than I would indicate naturally, especially during a lane a change. I often find myself cancelling them before they cancel themselves which makes the habit harder to break. On the plus at least I'll no longer have the embarrassment of leaving an indicator on

8. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hit the horn in error yet? Lol.

9. Wulf

Wulf New Member

Australia
    Hahaha, yeah, I want to find the Honda designer that swapped the horn and indicators and slap them. Since I installed an airhorn I've been a little more careful reaching for the indicator

10. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Done it myself, you do tend to look a bit silly.

11. Abandoned Track

Abandoned Track New Member

United States
    Same and same.

I have not had an issue with engine/exhaust system heat yet (especially compared to some other bikes I have owned and test ridden). I think this is going to be a good summer bike. I actually like the stock windscreen (I am 5 foot 9 inches).

Self cancelling indicators work better than the 2 BMW's I own. (Honda cancels earlier)

A third item (pro) to mention, is the speedometer. It is never 1 MPH different than my GPS speed. (Also unlike my 2 BMW's)

12. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    When I had my 6th gen, heat was a problem, especially at long CA traffic lights. I installed manual over ride on fan to keep it in check. No problem with the new one.

13. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    Thanks, now I don't have to write that :congratulatory:

14. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Suggestion: Ride a VFR.

15. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    The horn/turn signal button swap is really a nightmare. When your hands are on the grips, the horn button should be where your thumb normally rests. In cases where you need the horn in emergencies, you revert to the traditional location, like my '83. Turn signals are not a split second decision. Even though the button is bigger, it still requires lifting your thumb up to find it. Back in the 70's, my wife bought a Renault Alliance. They put the horn button on the end of the turn signal wand! Not a natural, convenient spot to find in a panic. Maybe the French drove with the finger on the button all the time!

16. Carnership

Carnership New Member

Finally, I had a good chance to ride a 2014 VFR800 today. However, I notice that when I rode the 2014 VFR800 with around 6000 rpm in each gear, I felt the bike started to viberate. Is that normal?? I didn‘t push the bike hard but very smooth. is that the way V4 engine running?

17. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    VTEC kicks in at 7000, not sure why you were feeling vibration at 6000.

18. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I think every 800 vibrates a bit in this range. Mine does. But also the engine is so silky smooth elsewhere I think one will notice vibration areas more. Did this truly feel more excessive than other bikes you have ridden?

A fuel controller may help. The acceleration range is lean to make the EPA happy, and lean means more vibration.

19. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Mine starts vibrating a little at about 6500 RPM - close to where VTEC kicks in.

A little is normal. Anyone who has ever twisted the throttle on my Honda V4s always comments on how smooth they are.

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The above is a shitload of information on a shitload of bikes from the mid 1980s to 2016.

Could this be just theory, actual experience, something oot of a magazine article or just a need to exhibit expertise with no more than an opinion?

Sometimes a vibration in an engine could indicate it's aboot ready to spit a rod, a couple of loose engine bolts, a wheel oot of balance or personal vibrator going off.

The last being for those so inclined to using same.